Learn to Play Frequently Asked Questions
Find the most common questions we get asked about UTM Learn to Play program.
What is the UTM Learn to Play Program?
- Our UTM Learn to Play program will teach the basic fundamentals and rules of the sport, helping students gain experience and confidence.
- We aim to have participants create friendships and bonds with others while learning and getting involved at their own pace.
- Previous participants of the Learn to Play Program sign up for further sports programs such as Drop-in and UTM Intramural leagues & tournaments.
Who is able to register for Learn to Play program offerings?
- All registered U of T students who have paid their incidental fees will be able to register and participant in any of our Learn to Play program offerings.
How can I register for a Learn to Play?
- Visit our registration web portal to register for the Learn to play offering that you are most interested in.
- Spots are limited in each sport offering so be sure to secure your spot in advance.
- We do offer waitlist and will contact those participants in order, should a spot become available.
- If you register for a program and are not longer able to make the commitment, we ask that you email the UTM Sports Administration staff (email@example.com) to remove your registration. This will provide another student the chance to participate.
How much will it cost me?
- There is NO cost to participate in UTM Learn to Play Programs.
Do I need to bring/purchase my own equipment?
- In every session, we provide all of the necessary equipment for all participants.
- When you come in for your Learn to Play session, be sure to check-in with your T-Card and the sport instructor will provide you with the equipment.
Will all sports be offered every semester?
- Outdoor Learn to Play Sports are only offered in the Summer and Fall semesters. Some Indoor Learn to Play sports can be offered in multiple semesters. However, we aim to provide a variety of sports each semester.
- If you're looking for minimal commitment, look out for our Learn to Play - Try it Series!
What is the difference between Learn to Play & Learn to Play - Try it Series?
- The Learn to Play sport program is designed to have weekly on-going sessions for participants to learn the fundamentals of the sports.
- UTM students will need to commitment to a weekly basis that can be anywhere from 5-7 weeks.
- The Learn to Play - Try it Series is designed as a 1-day event for UTM students to try a sport they haven't previously participated in, without the on-going commitment.
- Both Learn to Play and the Learn to Play - Try it Series will require pre-registration.
Who are the Sport Instructors?
- We believe in providing students with an exceptional and positive experience, and as best as possible we recruit, hire, and train your fellow UTM student peers to serve as sport instructors.
- By using the Peer instructor model, each instructor brings a wealth of experience playing, teaching and coaching in their sport. They also understand the day to day that you are going through in balancing academics, work, personal and social commitments
- Our instructors bring a warm, welcoming and inclusive environment so you don’t have to worry or stress about not having played the sport before. They will assist your learning and progress in the sport.
- Should you be interested in working as a Sport Instructor, visit our Employment Opportunities webpage regularly as we are always looking for UTM students to get involved with sports on campus.
Do you offer an intermediate/advance level of Learn to Play
- At this time we are not offering a level above beginner for our Learn to Play Sport programs.
- Additional sport programs such as UTM Intramurals and Tri-Campus Sports offer both competitive and recreational experience for students. Visit the Tri-Campus Sports or UTM Intramurals webpages to learn more.