Before You Arrive
On this page:
- Important Documents
- Get your Plane Ticket
- Transportation from the Airport
- What to Pack
What You Must Do
1. Enable your JOINid at the University of Toronto admissions website. You will need:
Your U of T Applicant Number found in your email acknowledgement;
Your date of birth;
Your ten-digit OUAC Reference Number.
2. Accept your offer of admission on the OUAC website.
►You must accept the offer by the deadline specified on your admission letter;
►Register for the ACE@UTM program if required on your conditional offer of admission.
- Ensure your study permit is valid;
- Make sure you have a valid passport.
2. Apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – if applicable;
3. Apply for visas and any other required immigration documents for accompanying family.
1. Decide on the type of housing that best fits your needs.
- Temporary housing options prior to move-in day (if applicable).
- Review the Course Calendar to identify courses of interest;
- Make a note of the registration dates found on the Registration Guide;
- Sign on to ACORN to enroll in classes and view your fees.
1. Make copies of all your important documents and keep them in a safe place;
2. Have the following documents readily available:
- Letter of introduction;
- Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) (if required);
- UofT offer of admission letter;
- Proof of sufficient funds;
- Health records;
- Address of where you will be staying and important phone numbers (contact for your landlord or residence office to obtain the details).
3. Set a reminder on your calendar with the expiry dates of each document to avoid finding yourself in an unfortunate situation with expired documents.
Classes start on September 9, 2020. It is important that you attend your classes from the beginning of the term. Make sure to include additional days in your travel plans so you can attend the various Orientation events that usually start prior to the start of classes.
Mississauga Transit (MiWay) - Approximately 1 hour and 10 minutres for $3.75.
- For more information about accessing MiWay, please visit here.
Taxi Services - Approximately 35 minutes, $35 - $50.
- For more information on accessing airport taxi services, please visit here.
*Please note that the time estimates are based on travel time without traffic and the costs vary depending on the taxi service.
Research and sign up for the multiple orientation events;
- International & New-to-Canada Student Welcome - brought to you by the International Education Centre and UTMSU, this event will provide you with a great opportunity to meet other international, new-to-Canada and domestic students, discover the campus and explore the city!
- O-Week - the official welcome to UTM provides new students with an introduction to academic and social life on campus to help with their transition;
- Residence Orientation - only open to students living in on campus housing as a way to introduce them to their community;
- UTMSU Orientation Week - first year student orientation brought to you by the University of Toronto Mississauga Student Union;
- Parent & Family Orientation - for parents and families, a special session for parents of international students will be offered.
Money – make sure to pack enough cash for immediate expenses including but not limited to food and transportation;
Seasonal clothing – Mississauga experiences cold temperatures generally between the months of October and April making winter clothing important. You can bring appropriate clothing from your home country or buy it in Canada after you arrive;
Immigration documents – This is very important! Be sure you have paper AND electronic copies of important documents;
Prescription drugs – if needed;
Medical records – recommend in case you need them;
Your UofT offer of admission letter.