Summary of UHIP coverage
UHIP will pay up to $1,000,000 a year to each plan member (you and your registered dependents) for the cost of eligible medically necessary health services and medical treatments. This may include:
hospital and physician services
- surgery including anesthetics
- diagnostic laboratory and X-ray services
- counselling and psychological services
- gynecological exams
- pregnancy related health care (prenatal and postnatal), even if pregnancy began before arrival in Ontario
Visit the UHIP website for details and a complete list of services and treatments covered.
Some health care providers may charge the Ontario Medical Association (OMA) rate—a significantly higher rate than UHIP or OHIP. You will be reimbursed the UHIP rate only. It is important to speak with the health care provider beforehand about medical rates.
Services not covered by UHIP
The following medical services are not covered by UHIP:
- prescription drugs*
- routine eye exams for persons between the ages of 20-65*
- dental care services*
- eyeglasses, frames and contact lenses
- chiropractic services
- medical examinations and tests required for immigration purposes or third party cosmetic surgery
- preparation of records, reports, certificates and communications
- services not covered under OHIP at the time that the services are rendered
*Most students, but not including international exchange students, are automatically enrolled in a supplementary health plan which may cover several of the items mentioned above.
Visit the UHIP website for additional information on services and treatments that are not covered.
Supplementary health insurance plans provide you with additional coverage for services that are not covered under UHIP (or OHIP). There is no overlap of coverage between UHIP and supplementary health insurance.
2020-2021 premium rates for 12 months of coverage
- Student: $720
- One dependent: $720
- Family (two or more dependents): $1440