As a University of Toronto Mississauga student, you are required to have health insurance coverage for the duration of your studies at UTM. The sections below will provide you with details on the health coverage options available to students:
UHIP coverage is mandatory for international students. You can register at Cowan Group to obtain their UHIP cards.
Your UHIP card was automatically emailed to you, print your card and carry it with you. Alternatively, you can access your UHIP card by following the steps below.
The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for certain international students to ensure you have basic health care coverage while studying in Ontario.
As an international student or exchange student, you are automatically enrolled in UHIP and the coverage charge will be listed on ACORN (your student account). UHIP coverage may also be extended to your eligible dependent family member(s). The UHIP insurer is Cowan Insurance Group.
Important Note: You must update your UTORmail on ACORN in order to receive communication from Cowan Insurance Group regarding your account.
Printing Your UHIP Card:
Create A Cowan Personal Account
Here’s how to register for Cowan’s Member Access:
- Once you have received Cowan’s email: visit www.cowangroup.ca and select “My Account” from the menu bar on the top-right. Select “Group Benefits Member Access” and click on “I’m a new user”
- In order to register, ensure you enter your UTORmail (not your personal email address) and re-enter it a second time to confirm. NOTE: your UTORmail will be your Username going forward. Enter your Last Name, First Name, Date of Birth and Member ID Number as displayed on the benefits card that Cowan emailed you.
- Click on “Next Step”. Cowan will send you an email with a link to complete the registration process. Once you get the email, click on the link to finish your registration. The link will expire in 24 hours. If you are unable to complete the registration during the 24-hour timeframe, please complete the above steps 1-4 again and another email will be sent to you. You will receive an email with a temporary password. Make sure you update your password after you log into the portal the first time.
Get Your UHIP Card Online
- Check your UTORmail. You may have already received a link to retrieve your UHIP coverage card by email when you were enrolled in the plan. If you did not receive your UHIP coverage card by email, you will need to complete the online registration process.
- Once you are logged in, select “My ePackage” on the home page, select “e-Card” and finally “print your card” for your UHIP coverage card.
- Your UHIP number is U (followed by your ten-digit student number) or UT (followed by your nine-digit student number)
Learn more about UHIP:
You automatically receive medical and dental insurance coverage through your student association, namely the:
- University of Toronto Mississauga Students' Union (UTMSU) for full-time undergraduate and professional faculty students
- Association of Part-time University Students (APUS) for part-time undergraduate students
- University of Toronto Graduate Students' Union (GSU) for graduate students
Learn more about supplemental plans:
- UTMSU Health and Dental Plan [card available from the Information Booth in the Student Centre] [view plan booklet]
- APUS Health and Dental Plan [download card] [view plan booklet]
- GSU Health and Dental Plan [download card] [view plan booklet]
Students participating in the Summer Academic Culture, and English Program (ACE@UTM) receive health coverage through Guard Me International Insurance - not UHIP.
Visit Guard Me International Insurance for more information regarding coverage.