Health Insurance

As a University of Toronto Mississauga student, you are required to have health insurance coverage for the duration of your studies at UTM. The sections below will provide you with details on the health coverage options available to students:

Health and Dental
Guard Me

University Health Insurance Plan



You are automatically enrolled in the University Health Insurance Program (UHIP) starting August 10. Due to COVID-19 quarantine requirements, early coverage during the period August 10 – 31 is available free of charge. Fees for coverage during the regular academic year will be listed on ACORN, your student account.

Your UHIP card was automatically emailed to you, print your card and carry it with you. Alternatively, you can access your UHIP card by following the steps below.


The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for certain international students to ensure you have basic health care coverage while studying in Ontario.

As an international student or exchange student, you are automatically enrolled in UHIP and the coverage charge will be listed on ACORN (your student account). UHIP coverage may also be extended to your eligible dependent family member(s). The UHIP insurer is Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

Learn more about UHIP:


International students and their eligible dependents, in Ontario, can receive their flu vaccine free of charge by booking an appointment:
- At a local pharmacy: MedicineShoppeRexall, or Shoppers Drug Mart
- Public Health Clinics, and Community Clinics. 

You do not need an Ontario health card to receive services at these providers. Some physician offices and pharmacies may charge a fee for administering the flu shot. UHIP will cover the administration of the flu shot fee at UHIP rates. Please see guidelines on how to submit a claim if you are charged for your flu shot.

Remember to bring your UHIP card and TCard when visiting a pharmacy or clinic.

UHIP Dis-enrolment form for Winter 2021 is open!

If you are studying remotely outside of Canada for the Winter 2021 semester you are eligible to disenrol from UHIP. Winter dis-enrolment applications apply to the period January 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021.  Please find guidelines below on the dis-enrolment process for Winter 2021.

  1. The dis-enrolment application form is now available here (available from January 18 to February 28).

  2. Once your application has been approved, your UHIP coverage will be cancelled and the fees will be removed from your Acorn account.  

  3. If you have already paid UHIP fees on Acorn, it will be credited back to you. 

  4. Students’ UHIP coverage and fees will be activated again for September 1, 2021.  For students enrolled in summer courses, UHIP coverage and fees will be activated automatically.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you arrive in Canada before the end of the semester or during the summer months, you must contact the UHIP Office at to re-activate your coverage as soon as possible. UHIP ensures you can access provincial healthcare in Canada as an international student.

Confused about the UHIP disenrolment process? The video below walks you through the UHIP disenrolment process.


For more information about UHIP:

UHIP at U of T


International Students Studying in another Canadian Province:

International students studying, outside Ontario in another province within Canada, are ineligible for UHIP dis-enrolment. UHIP coverage for students studying remotely within Canada, outside of Ontario, remains to the same level as in Ontario.  UHIP re-imbursement rate is similar to OHIP and claims submitted for medical-care services received in other provinces will be reimbursed at the same rate as in Ontario. International students covered by provincial healthcare plans (e.g. OHIP) may be eligible for a UHIP exemption. Please contact for information.

If you have issues accessing the form or have any questions, please email

Supplemental Insurance

You automatically receive medical and dental insurance coverage through your student association, namely the:

  • University of Toronto Mississauga Students' Union (UTMSU) for full-time undergraduate and professional faculty students
  • Association of Part-time University Students (APUS) for part-time undergraduate students
  • University of Toronto Graduate Students' Union (GSU) for graduate students

Learn more about supplemental plans:

Guard Me International Insurance

Students participating in the Summer Academic Culture, and English Program (ACE@UTM) receive health coverage through Guard Me International Insurance - not UHIP.

Visit Guard Me International Insurance for more information regarding coverage.