As an international student at the University of Toronto Misssisauga, you are now part of a global community of students, staff and faculty. With students from over 100 countries, UTM offers a truly global experience in and out of the classroom.
The International Education Centre is here to support you in your transition to UTM and Canada, provide support throughout your time as a UTM student and help you transition into life after graduation. There are various transition programs and important resources we would like you to be aware of:
IEC Student Services
UTM students can receive personalized support on immigration matters at no additional cost from the time of acceptance to up to three years after graduation
Book an appointment with our immigration advisors to assist you with applying for:
- Study Permit & Visa
- Work Permit
- Permanent Residence
1:1 advising from specialized advisors who can help with international student transition to university and beyod including pre-arrival, employment, community building and more.
Book an appointment with our advisors or visit our office to get assistance with:
- UHIP-International Student Health Insurance Plan
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)- 9 digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.
- Pre & Post Arrival Support - What to bring to Canada, opening a bank account, phone plans and more
- Winter In-person Preparation
- Income Tax
- Or anything else related to international student transition
Our employment strategist can help students looking for jobs during their studies as well as those seeking to work in Canada after graduation. Contact us if you would like to sign up for:
- One-on-one employment advising
- Tairlored workshops and events
- International Student Training Employment Program (ISTEP)
Transition Coaching Program
Adjusting to university life in your first year can certainly be a challenge, especially as we find ourselves in an academic year like no other.
With the support of the Transition Coaching Program, you can build the skills you need to meet and exceed your expectations, and help answer some incredibly important questions:
- How do I make goals for myself and stick to them?
- How do I better manage my time and get my work done?
- How do I manage my stress during the school year?
- How do I make new friends and get involved on campus?
- Who is here to support me on campus?
Programs and Events
At the IEC, we value community building and place high importance on students being able to make friends and meet fellow peers outside the classroom. Connect with new people by participating in our programs and events.
- International Student Mentorship Program (ISMP)-Students will be paired up with an upper-year mentor that will support their transition into Canada and UTM
- Canada-eh - for new UTM students to learn more about what life in Canada is like
- GIFTS-The Global and Intercultural Fluency Training Series (GIFTS) will help students to develop their leadership and communication skills in facilitating cultural relations
- LCCs - Exploring various cultures through language
- Thrive! - Professional Development Conference for incoming international students
- For more programs visit Programs & Events page
International experiences can change your life. Through global learning you can build your global awareness, connect with a network of like-minded peers and develop in various aspects.
- UTM Abroad - Short-term international experiences that fit within your regular UTM semester and give you a space to develop personally, professionally & academically.
- Exchange - Participate in an international exchange, all while earning credits towards your degree. We have 120+ partner institutions in over 40 countries, with endless possibilities to gain international experience and global citizenship before you graduate.