Post-Graduation Work Permit

Post-Graduation Work Permit Banner

The post-graduation employment program is designed to provide graduating students with Canadian work experience. International students who graduate the University of Toronto are eligible (with few exceptions) to apply for a post-graduation work permit with a validity period of up to 3 years – this depends on the length of the student’s program of study.

If the official length of your program of study is:

  • Less than 8 months, you are not eligible for this work permit; 
  • More than 8 months and up to 2 years, you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months); 
  • Two years or more, a work permit may be issued for up to 3 years.
For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program or Bachelor’s and Master’s degree consequetively, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria (providing you include both transcripts and a letter of explanation, in the latter case).

You may apply for this work permit only once during your stay in Canada as an international student. To be eligible, you must:

  • Apply within 180 days since you received formal notification from the University that you have successfully completed your program requirements, or from when your final marks were posted, whichever comes first. Please note that the 180-day period starts from the date you receive your final grades, not the date of your Convocation;
  • Have a valid study permit at the time you have met the requirements to graduate (final marks posted to ACORN);
  • If you apply in Canada you must have a valid study permit at the time of application;
  • Have continuously studied full time in Canada and provide proof of completion of your program(s) (i.e., final transcript showing grades and/or a letter from the university);
  • And have not previously been issued a post-graduation work permit.

We highly recommend that you apply online. For more information, go to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website

Important Information

Members of your immediate family (spouse/common-law partner/dependent children) who wish to remain with you for the duration of your work permit must apply for permission to do so. You may apply for an extension of their stay in Canada at the same time as you apply for your post-graduation work permit. If your spouse currently holds an open work permit as your dependent, you may apply to extend his/her work permit when you apply for your post-graduation work permit. If you have a child you may apply to extend their study permit if they have one. If they do not have a study permit, you should extend their stay by applying for a visitors record for them.