Global Status Updates

Global Status Updates

Global issues, emergencies and natural disasters happen all too frequently around the world. We have created this resource for those that wish to remain updated of these occurrences while they are away from their home country and studying in Canada. We have also listed both on campus and local community resources available should you be concerned about academic implications, or would like to seek professional counseling. 

Become Notified

Resources Available on Campus

Local Community Resources

Become Notified

Global Affairs Canada provides news, background and resources about global issues and sustainable economic development from the Government of Canada’s lead agency. Here you can find information on consular services, travel advise and advisories.

The government of Canada provides effective and efficient consular assistance to Canadian citizens should they find themselves in trouble abroad. The Embassies and Consulates directory contains contact information for government offices that provide consular services to Canadian citizens.

Canadian government officials abroad can:

  • help in a medical emergency by providing a list of local doctors and hospitals;

  • provide advice and contact information for local police and medical services to victims of robbery, sexual assault or other violence;
  • provide assistance in cases of missing persons or the abduction of a child to another country;
  • replace a lost, stolen, damaged or expired passport;
  • contact relatives or friends to request assistance in sending you money or airline tickets;
  • transfer funds if urgent financial assistance is required and all other options have been exhausted;
  • contact next of kin, with your authorization, if you have had an accident or are detained by police;
  • advise local police in Canada to contact next of kin in case of death;
  • provide assistance to repatriate the remains of your loved one back to Canada;
  • help you, in case of a death abroad, to identify a funeral home experienced in international funeral arrangements in the region where the death took place as well as a funeral home in Canada;
  • request timely and transparent investigations into suspicious circumstances in the event of an alleged or apparent crime or death (although consular officials cannot interfere in an investigation or legal matter);
  • contact friends or family on your behalf, with your authorization.
  • provide you with a list of local lawyers;
  • provide you with sources of information about local laws and regulations.

Canadian government officials abroad cannot:

  • guarantee your safety and security while you are abroad;

  • post bail, pay legal fees or medical expenses;
  • reimburse you for hotel costs, delayed travel or cancelled trips;
  • provide legal advice, intervene in private legal matters or financial estate disputes;
  • get you out of prison;
  • intercede with foreign immigration officials to allow you to enter or exit a country;
  • solve immigration-related problems such as overstaying a visa and applications for a visa to Canada or other countries
  • perform fingerprinting services or obtain criminal record checks;
  • help you find employment, accept mail, store personal effects or search for lost items on your behalf;
  • perform investigations abroad into crimes or deaths: this is the responsibility of local authorities;
  • ask local authorities to give you preferential treatment;
  • take possession of a child that has been abducted by a parent involved in a custody dispute.

The Travel Advice and Advisories are the official source of destination-specific travel information. If you are planning a trip abroad, be sure to check once when planning your trip and a second time shortly before you leave. You could also check this page to keep up-to-date with potential safety and security conditions of your home country. For additional information, you could also look here.

Should you wish to be notified in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home, register here for the Registration of Canadians Abroad. This is a free service that also enables you to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

For a list of emergency telephone numbers by country, click here

Resources Available on Campus

Centre for Student Engagement

Ever wonder where to go for worship? The Centre for Student Engagement has created a list of various places of worship near UTM for different faith groups. Please access this page if you are seeking support from a specific faith leader. 

Health and Counseling Centre (HCC)

The HCC offers short-term, solution-focused counseling and therapy services for a wide variety of reasons, including crisis support. The HCC also provides referrals to assist students in accessing resources in the community when complex and/or long-term care is needed. For a list of UTM and GTA Mental Health Resources, take a look online here.

Recreation, Athletics and Wellness Centre (RAWC)

The RAWC offers a Mindfulness Meditation weekly to all students. This free class offers an accepting, non-judgmental environment to learn and practice different forms of mindful meditation to lower stress, improve mood and feel better.

Office of the Registrar (OR)

Say for example you’ve traveled home for Reading Week, an emergency situation arises while abroad and you are unable to return to Canada on time for classes to resume. As a result of this, you miss a term test. What should you do?! For term tests, you simply follow the procedure listed in your course syllabus. You do not need to contact the OR if you’ve missed a term test.

Final exams however are a bit different, if you’ve missed an exam because of circumstances beyond your control, follow these steps:

  1. Declare your absence by logging in to ACORN, clicking “Profile & Settings” and then clicking “Absence Declaration”. You must declare your absence on the day of the exam or the day after.
  2. Within 72 hours you must:
    • Petition to defer your exam online
    • Submit supporting documentation to the OR
    • Pay $70 deferred exam fee
  3. If your exam deferral is approved, you’ll write the exam the week following the exam period.

For more information, watch the Missed Tests & Exams Video.

The OR also has Academic Advising available to all students. An Academic Advisor can assist with university rules and regulations, personal or academic concerns that influence academic performance, etc. 

Local Community Resources

Keep Me Safe

Keep Me Safe provides international students with immediate and/or ongoing confidential, 24 hour support for any school, health, or general life concern at no cost to you. You can call or chat with a counsellor directly from your phone whenever, wherever you are. 


Good2Talk is a free, confidential helpline providing professional counseling, information and referrals for mental health and well-being to post-secondary students in Ontario. The purpose of the helpline includes:

  • Providing post-secondary students with immediate access to professional counseling on any issue
  • Providing referrals to appropriate services and supports
  • Providing accurate, accessible and timely mental health information

Good2Talk can be reached at 1-866-925-5454

Distress Centre Peel

Distress Centre Peel provides free 24-hour telephone support, crisis intervention and referral services for people in distress. Every call is answered by a highly trained volunteer who is skilled in providing community information and crisis management. You can call 905-278-7208 anytime to speak with someone.

Western Union

Need to send/receive money to/from family overseas? You can do so with Western Union

International SOS

International SOS provides medical, security, emotional, and logistical support and expertise for U of T's international travelers. You can be connected to a network of health and security professionals 24 hours a day, get a referral to a local doctor or other medical professional, access emotional and mental health support while abroad, and more.