On-Campus Fire Emergency Procedures
Fore more details on fire emergency procedures and emergency reporting, Campus Safety has compiled a detailed Emergency Response & Guidelines for UTM. See below to learn more about Fire Emergency Procedures.
- Action on Discovering Smoke or Fire
- Stay Calm
- Activate the nearest wall-mounted fire alarm.
- If safe to do so, call the Campus Safety at 905-569-433 and give the exact location of the smoke or the fire.
- Leave the building by the nearest safe exit.
- Action when you hear fire alarm bells:
- Stay calm
- When the building evacuation fire alarm is sounded, take your coat, keys and personal valuables with you. Close and lock doors and walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same.
- Assist persons who may experience difficulty in exiting the building.
- Never use elevators during fire alarms. Use the fire stairs to exit the building.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the affected building.
- Keep clear of roads, fire routes, hydrants, and walkways for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- A Campus Emergency Operations Centre may be set up near the emergency site.
- Keep clear of the Emergency Operations Centre unless you have official business.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by Police Services or Fire Warden.
It is very important to have ensure you are protected against fires by having smoke alarms in your home, a fire escape plan and much more! Mississauga Fire & Emergency Services have created great resources in the following languages:
You can access these resources here.