The Course: FAH287
FAH287 - European Art Nineteenth Century
Surveys major developments in European art and architecture from the late eighteenth through the end of the nineteenth century, including Neoclassicism, Romanticism, Orientalism, Realism, the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, Impressionism, Post-Impressionism, and Symbolism. Artistic responses to political change, urbanisation, capitalism, colonialism, the Academy, and the Salon will be explored as well as changing constructions of gender, race, class, and national identities through visual media. [24L, 12T]
Make sure to check the corresponding academic calendar and ACORN for prerequisites and enrollment requirements. Click here.
The Trip: London and Paris Winter Reading Week
Approximate Travel Dates: Friday, February 16, 2024 - Sunday, February 25, 2024
Ignite your passion for nineteenth-century European art and architecture. Absorb a wealth of knowledge and be inspired by what London and Paris have to offer.
The institutions and sites you will visit house a diverse range of artworks exemplifying the different schools of thought and styles of art that FAH287H5S introduces in the classroom.
Over the course of 10 days you will travel, learn about the development of European art, and share your passion with your classmates and Professor Alison Syme.
Estimated cost of International Component: CAD $3,900.00 - 4,400.00
What is Included: Flights, transportation, accommodation, meals, in-country activities associated with the course, and trip-cancellation insurance. Funding Available!
What is NOT Included: Course fees, fees associated with supplemental travel insurance, additional optional tours/activities while abroad, visa applications, medical exams, vaccinations, and any other additional costs.
Bursaries will be awarded based on demonstrated financial need (not linked to OSAP) as shown in your funding request in your UTM Abroad application. Read more about funding here!
If you have applied for a bursary- You will hear back about your bursary application at the same time as your trip application.
|1st Installment||$250.00||With Application|
|2nd Installment||$950.00||October 22nd, 2023*|
|3rd Installment||$950.00||October 29th, 2023*|
|4th Installment||$950.00||November 12th, 2023*|
|5th Installment||$950.00||November 26th, 2023*|
|6th Installment||$100-$350**||December 10th, 2023*|
**Final Installments will be determined based on the final trip cost.
*Installment deadlines subject to change. Final deadlines will be posted here after October 1st, 2023.
Need To Know
- The cost and itinerary are subject to change.
- Students must be enrolled in FAH287 at the time of participation and will be required to abide by the corresponding UTM Abroad application requirements and deadlines to participate in the international experience.
- Fees must be paid in full by the required deadlines.
- To prepare for the trip, students attending will participate in mandatory pre-departure and safety abroad sessions.
- Studying masterpieces of British art in the Tate Gallery;
- Exploring decorative art at the Victoria and Albert Museum;
- Visiting landmarks of world architecture in London and Paris;
- Encountering the treasures of the Louvre first hand;
- Discovering Impressionist art the Musée de l'Orangerie and the Musée d'Orsay;
- Attending special exhibitions in both cities;
- Enjoying a variety of other artistic forms such as ballet and theatre.
Please Note: Due to the current COVID-19 circumstances, situations may arise that the university is unable to foresee. We will continue to update this page and communicate with those enrolled in the course regarding the international component. If you have questions, please email email@example.com.