What is an Emergency?

An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, ambulance or fire department.

Examples include:

  • A serious crime, especially if in progress
  • A fire
  • A car crash, especially if injuries occur
  • A medical emergency

Who do I call in case of an emergency?

If you are on-campus, please call Campus Safety (905-569-4333) or Peel Police assistance (9-1-1). Remember, you can also contact Campus Safety by dialing the Operator (0) from any campus pay telephone without using coins.

Using 9-1-1

9-1-1 is the emergency telephone number which connects you to Ambulance, Police or Fire in an emergency situation. Calling 9-1-1 helps you reach emergency services when you require immediate assistance.

9-1-1 calls are free of charge from any telephone in Ontario, including pay telephones or cellular phones.

The 9-1-1 emergency number system is provided by the Region of Peel for the Cities of Mississauga and Brampton, and the Town of Caledon.

When to call for a non-emergency?

A non-emergency is when immediate dispatch of the police is NOT required.

  • Reporting a crime with no suspect
  • Reporting a neighbour dispute
  • Reporting a noisy party

You can contact Campus Safety’s general inquiries line at 905-828-5200 or Peel Regional Police for non-emergencies at 905-453-3311.