Frequently Asked Questions - Future Students




Academic Experiences

Glocal Impact Projects


What is the difference between the UTM Abroad GIP program and UTM Abroad Academic program?

The UTM Abroad Academic Experiences require you to be enrolled in the corresponding course to participate in the international experience.

The UTM Abroad Glocal Impact Projects are co-curricular offerings that any student can apply to. 

Do I have to apply for any travel documents (ex. Visa) myself?

If you need any travel documents, then yes, it is up to you to apply for those. We will work with you to help you identify what travel documents you might need depending on your country of citizenship and will support you with any letters you require to apply for those documents.

Do I have to buy travel (health) insurance?

Travelers Insurance that covers stolen/lost luggage and belongings is optional. Travelers Health Insurance is NOT optional. You are responsible for obtaining travel health insurance before your trip. If you have not opted out of UTMSU's Health Care and Dental Plan, you can visit the Info Booth in the student centre to learn about your travel health insurance options through them and determine if it suits your needs. 

Who do I contact when I have questions?

You can contact us at or drop by the IEC (DV2071) Monday to Friday 1 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. to chat with us. If you are participating in an experience, you will receive trip specific contact information in your pre-departure sessions. 

When can I apply?

Application periods vary from program to program, so look at the Apply Now! page for application deadlines for the experience you are interested in. However, generally applications for the UTM Abroad Academic Experiences take place in January for participation the following academic year, and applications for Glocal Impact Projects take place in September for participating the same academic year.

I have a dietary restriction and/or allergy. What do I do?

In your application, simply select yes when asked about your dietary restriction or allergy, and explain the details in the box provided. We have in the past accommodated a variety of dietary restrictions and allergies. Selecting yes in this portion of the application does not impact the assessment of your application. It is only used to initiate a plan to support your participation in the international experience. 

I have a  medical condition and/or disability need that may impact my ability to participate fully in the activities related to the international experience. What do I do?

In your application, simply select yes when asked about your medical conditions and/or disability needs. If you are selected to participate in the experience, we will follow-up with a Health Clearance Form to be completed with the relevant on-campus service. Selecting yes in this portion of the application does not impact the assessment of your application. It is only used to initiate a plan to support your participation in the international experience. 

Please note: a staff member travels with each group to support your health and well-being as well as trip logistics. At any point in the process (pre, during and post trip) you are welcome to approach your staff member to ask for support.

I'm a PSEP student. How do I alert UTM Abroad?

Send an email to and let us know what program you're applying for so that we can add an annotation to your application.


Flights, transportation, accommodation, meals and in-country activities associated with the experience. For most experiences on the ground support from a UTM staff member and/or program leaders from our partner organizations is also included in this fee.

Course fees, fees associated with travel insurance, trip cancellation insurance, additional optional tours/activities while abroad, visa applications, medical exams, vaccinations, and any other additional costs.


Can I get funding to go on a UTM Abroad Trip?

YES! We are striving to make these programs as accessible as possible, so we have multiple funding options. Check out the available bursaries here.

When will I hear back about my funding application?

You will be notified about the funding you will receive prior to the second instalment due date for your experience. You can review the payment timelines for 2018-2019 Academic Experiences here and for the 2018-2019 Glocal Impact Projects here

Academic Experiences

What happens if the course associated with my UTM Abroad Academic Experience conflicts with another course on my timetable?

If the course it conflicts with is a program requirement, then you can withdraw from the UTM Aborad Academic Experience and will receive the first installment back. If the course it conflicts with is not a program requirement, and you choose to take it, you will have to withdraw from the UTM Abroad program at your own expense. You can learn more about refunds here.

Glocal Impact Projects

What is Glocal?

Glocal is a term that derives from the portmanteau, glocalization.

What happens if I have a conflict with the workshop sessions or the community engagement project?

Participation in these components is mandatory. If scheduling conflicts are keeping you from participating in this program, please contact us at

What is the Co-Curricular Record (CCR)?

The CCR acts a secondary resume that shows what programs/events a UTM student has completed and the skills they were able to attain from their participation in various UTM activities.

How many CCR credits do I receive for the UTM Abroad GIP program?

Students who complete the UTM Abroad GIP Program will achieve three CCR recognitions.