Applications for 2021-2022 will open August 2021.
The goal of the Alumni Mentorship Program is to tap into the vast professional experience of UTM alumni to help our students transition from student life to work life and assist in strengthening their self-image and vision of their possible futures. We aim to provide experiential learning for our students by infusing our alumni community and resources into student life, in order to enrich the overall student experience. Our alumni mentors are from across the world and have five-plus years of professional experience and are excited to support you with your career journey!
Benefits of being a mentee:
- Identify and/or solidify your career interests and priorities
- Develop a network and community with fellow undergraduate participants
- Learn about being an alumnus/alumna and the value of alumni relationships and involvement
- Develop and/or strengthen the skills of professionalism, communication, career planning, goal setting and prioritization, and decision-making and action
- Gain industry insights
- Access professional development sessions on networking, LinkedIn and addressing discrimination in the workplace
Eligibility, Application & Requirements
Applications for 2021-2022 will open late August 2021. Thirty undergraduate students are selected on an annual basis to take part. The program runs from October to April. For 2021-2022, the Alumni Mentorship Program will be taking place virtually.
- Students are eligible for this program if they currently have a CGPA of 2.0+ and are in the third year or higher of their undergraduate degree
- Complete the application by Monday, September 27, 2021 at 9 a.m.
- Applicants will be informed of the results by the start of October Reading Week and matched with a mentor shortly after October Reading Week
Program Requirements if selected:
- Complete the online course ‘Know Yourself’ by Oct. 15, 2021
- Attend the virtual Mentee Orientation on Friday, Oct. 15, 2021 (specific time to be determined)
- Connect virtually with your alumni mentor a minimum of once a month from October, 2021 to April, 2022
- Participate in monthly virtual community check-ins with fellow mentees led by a peer leader (a total of five check-ins will occur - October, November, January, February and March)
- Be responsible, trustworthy, respectful of the mentor's time and experiences, curious and understanding and open to gaining different perspectives
To receive CCR, participants must complete the expectations listed above and complete a self-reflection survey at the end of the program. We also hope that participants will attend a Career Counselling appointment, attend professional development workshops, and join us virtually to celebrate the completion of the program in April. Attending these events is optional and strongly encouraged.
Interested in being a mentor?
We are looking for mentors who have graduated more than five years ago who are looking to reconnect with the UTM campus community through supporting student success by sharing their professional experiences. What is unique about this program is that we are looking for mentors who may be in the GTA, but also those who are living abroad and want to share their experiences from other parts of the world. We are seeking mentors who enjoy collaborative learning, who find helping others rewarding and who want to see others succeed.
In order to participate in the program you must:
- Have five-plus years of professional experience post-graduation
- Be willing to connect with an undergraduate mentee through our online mentorship platform on a monthly basis from October to April
- Support a student’s professional and personal development
- Help your student identify and set goals. Track progress and make changes as needed
- Provide guidance to help the student achieve goals
- Be open about your experiences; be it work, education or life in general, so that this program can offer a unique perspective and relationship.
- Approach the mentoring relationship with an open mind, professionalism and respect
Benefits of being a mentor:
- Develop personal leadership and coaching skills
- Invaluable networking opportunities through interactions with fellow mentors
- Share mentorship practices with fellow mentors
- Personal satisfaction by directly contributing to mentee growth and development
- Strengthened connection to UTM through engagement with students and fellow alumni
For all questions and feedback regarding Alumni Mentorship, please contact:
- Room 3125, William G. Davis Building (Find us on a map here!)
- Phone: 416-864-8383
- Email: email@example.com
This mentoring experience is in partnership with the Office of Advancement.
The U of T Mississauga Alumni Mentorship Program is proudly sponsored by the University of Toronto's Affinity Partner: Manulife