“I'm grateful for the Transition Coaching Program for allowing me the opportunity to be connected with someone who has gone through all these experiences before! Thanks to this program, I felt like I belonged more at the university and that my struggles weren't just limited to me. It allowed me to meet someone who continually helped and inspired me to find my direction. In all, the program helped me feel more assured and happier in my transition to university by speaking with someone I could trust and confide in matters I couldn't admit to others." -Transition Coaching Program Participant
What is the Transition Coaching Program?
Adjusting to university life in your first year can certainly be a challenge. Between your academic responsibilities, your commitments to family and friends, taking care of yourself and managing all the demands life throws your way, it’s common to feel overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next.
With the support of the Transition Coaching Program, you can build the skills you need to meet and exceed your expectations, and help answer some incredibly important questions:
- How do I make goals for myself and stick to them?
- How do I better manage my time and get my work done?
- How do I manage my stress during the school year?
- How do I make new friends and get involved on campus?
- Who is here to support me on campus?
Six key areas of transition difficulty?
The Transition Coaching Program is based on six key areas of transition development such as:
- Learning Course Material
- Managing Your Time
- Paying for College Expenses
- Getting Help with School Work
- Making New Friends
- Interacting with Faculty
Through one-on-one coaching meetings with the Academic Coach and Peer Coaches, you will improve these transition skills. We will give you tangible strategies tailored to first year students, help you set strong goals, and connect you with the campus resources and programs that meet your needs.
Benefits of Joining the Program
- Access to one-on-one meetings with your Peer Coach, a successful upper-year student at UTM, ready to share their experiences and help guide you to achieve your goals.
- Receive individualized and continuous feedback on your goal setting throughout the semester.
- Learn about and connect with all the great resources and services available to you at UTM.
- Access to asynchronous content and activities whenever you need them to help you develop the skills you need to learn course material, manage your time, get involved on campus, interact with faculty, and much more
- Receive Co-Curricular Record (CCR) credit for participation in the program.
How is the program structured?
First appointment with your Peer Coach (45 minutes)
Follow-up with your Peer Coach (45-minutes)
Independent work on the progress of your goal
Email follow-up with your Peer Coach
Final appointment with the Academic Coach (30 minutes)
Frequently Asked Questions
What are coaching appointments like?
Your coach will review their insights from your BCSSE report with you and together you will highlight key transition skills for you to work on. Your appointments with the peer coaches will help you develop an action plan to improve those skills.
What is the time commitment like?
The program takes place over a five-week period. Each appointment is a week to two weeks apart and will be 30-45 minutes long. At each appointment, you will book your following appointment.
The personal work you to do achieve your goals outside of appointments is ultimately up to you. What you put into this program, is what you will get out of it! We'll be here the entire time to support you in identifying and taking whatever next steps you need to get to your place of success!
How do I attend appointments?
Appointments will be virtual via Zoom. If alternative accommodations are needed, please let us know.
Can anyone participate?
This program is invitation-only. Invitations will be sent to students who have responded to the Before College Survey of Student Engagement (BCSSE) responses. To be eligible for this program you must have completed BCSSE.
For all questions and feedback regarding Transition Coaching Program, please contact:
- Email: email@example.com