Research and Assessment
What is assessment in the Centre for Student Engagement?
The Centre for Student Engagement utilizes research and assessment to support student learning by measuring learning outcomes and effectiveness of our prorgrams, services and resources. We are committed to engaging in assessment practices to make informed, evidence-based decisions rather through instinct.
Assessment is the ongoing, systematic process of collecting, analyzing, and using information about divisional, departmental, and programmatic effectiveness, in order to improve student learning (Upcraft & Schuh, 1996; Anderson, Bresciani, & Zelna, 2004). The Centre for Student Engagement uses surveys, focus groups, interviews, observations and other methods to gather information and data.
How you can get involved?
If you are registered in any of programs, services or resources you may be contacted to participate in our assessment projects. This could include filling out a program survey, participating in a focus group, or sharing a story about your experience as a UTM student. Click here to find out more about the Centre's upcoming projects.
The Centre for Student Engagment also provides students the opportunity to work on our assessment projects through the Work Study Program. To find out about our upcoming employment opportunities check our hiring page.
The University of Toronto respects your privacy. Personal information that you provide to the University is collected pursuant to section 2(14) of the University of Toronto Act, 1971. It is collected for the purpose of administering admissions, registration, academic programs, university-related student activities, activities of student societies, safety, financial assistance and awards, graduation and university advancementand reporting to government agencies for statistical purposes. At all times it will be protected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions, please refer to www.utoronto.ca/privacy or contact the University Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Coordinator at 416-946-7303, McMurrich Building, room 104, 12 Queen's Park Crescent West, Toronto, ON, M5S 1A8.
The Centre for Student Engagement has a number of assessment projects coming in 2021/2022, including:
- Administering the Before College Survey of Student Engagement. The 2021 survey launches for all UTM incoming students in July 2021.
- Participation surveys and focus groups for Centre for Student Engagement Programs such as LAUNCH, Peer Mentorship, EagleConnect and more.
- Assess the transferable skills of student participating in the Social Innovation Projects utilizing AACU Value Rubrics.
- As part of the Quality Service to Students, the Centre for Student Engagement will hold advisory meetings in the fall of 2021 to seek feedback and suggested program ideas from UTM students.
To learn more about other Student Affairs and Services Assesment Projects click here.
For all questions and feedback regarding Research and Assessment, please contact:
- Room 2099, William G. Davis Building (Find us on a map here!)
- Phone: 905-569-4789
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org