Black Youth Mentorship
Representation is everything, especially for youth who are easily impressionable. This is why having a Black mentor is important. Black role models help youth to expand their mindset of what possible for themselves and that they can achieve anything they want in life. By matching Black youth with Black UTM mentors, they are supported to be fearless, influential and respected leaders in their community.
The Black Youth Mentoring Program (BYMP) matches Black youth (ages 9-13) with a Black adult UTM student (18+) who has shared experiences to help promote strong cultural and self-identity. Matches build meaningful friendships as mentees and mentors participate in fun group activities, and develop a sense of community and belonging.
BYMP is an exciting opportunity for UTM students to empower and inspire Black youth through an exploration of Blackness, art, community and pathways to education. As mentors, volunteers will use their knowledge and interests to lead online workshops for Black underrepresented elementary and high-school students across the Peel Region.
1. Log into CLNx at https://clnx.utoronto.ca/students/overview.htm
2. Click on 'UTORid Login'.
3. From the navigation menu, go to 'Experiential Learning':
4. To enroll in the program, select one of the following two options (either a or b):
a. New Student the Experiential Learning Module (i.e., first time participating in an experiential learning program): Click on the 'View Available Programs/Courses' button.
b. Students previously enrolled in any Experiential Program can access the program by clicking on the 'View' button' (located in the 'Current Experiences' tile), or by clicking directly on the respective tile located to the right of your screen.
5. In the 'Current Experiences' catalogue, select 'Community Youth Mentorship.'
6. Follow the program instructions on CLNx to officially register and select your project!
For all questions and feedback regarding Black Youth Mentorship, please contact:
- Room 3125, William G. Davis Building (Find us on a map here!)
- Phone: 416-864-8383
- Email: email@example.com