After you submit your petition by the deadline, please upload your supporting documentation within 7 days, or within 72 hours for a deferred exam to AskRegistrar:
- Select the Petitions category, and Submit Documentation as the topic.
- Enter your petitions tracking number.
- Upload your documentation in a PDF format.
If a petition or supporting documentation is submitted past the deadline, you must explain the extenuating circumstances that caused the lateness to ensure that the petition will be considered.
- Write and edit your submission carefully. It should clearly state the reasons why you are requesting special consideration, and why it was not possible for you to meet the university rule/regulation/deadline.
- Submit your petition in full, and on time to avoid unnecessary delays. Delays in submitting your documents will lengthen the response time needed to review your request in full, and provide you with a timely decision.
- Update your contact information. In some circumstances, we may need to contact you and request additional information.
- Meet with an Academic Advisor if you have questions, or need clarification. If your reason for submitting a petition involves extremely personal and sensitive circumstances, it is strongly recommended that you seek academic advising to discuss how to present your situation in writing and the appropriate documentation to corroborate your request. Appointments can be made through AskRegistrar.
- If you are registered with Accessibility Services, meet with your Accessibility Advisor for assistance.
Your student record, which includes your petition request and supporting documents, are kept in the strictest confidence and are reviewed only by authorized members of the university in order to process your petition.
Consultation with Academic Staff and Instructors
Petition staff may need to consult with instructors or departmental staff to clarify the particulars of your petition prior to a decision being reached. Petitions requiring information about the grading scheme, student performance, or a recommendation from the department are referred to the academic department undergraduate advisor.
Although the support of instructors and departments is considered in the petition review, it does not guarantee the approval of the student’s request. The final petition decision still rests with petition staff by, or on behalf of, the Committee on Standing.