Eligible students can request a fee deferral to register for the upcoming session without payment. Once classes begin, students are responsible for paying their outstanding balance and should follow the appropriate payment schedule.
There are two types of students who qualify for a deferral:
- Students receiving a government student loan: since government student loans and grants are not available to students until after classes begin, this arrangement will help secure your spot in the courses you chose.
- Students receiving a U of T Scholarship: The value of your scholarship must be equal to, or greater than your minimum amount to register (as listed on your ACORN invoice).
Fee Deferral - Student Loan
- Login to ACORN
- Select "Tuition Fee Deferral" under the Finances menu
- Read the terms and conditions carefully, then click on the "Process Fee Deferral" button when you are ready.
Submit your request on ACORN as soon as the fee deferral option becomes available. If your request is unsuccessful, this will give you time to troubleshoot and resolve the issue by the deadline. ACORN will notify you immediately if your fee deferral request was accepted or not. If it was, your registration status will change from invited to registered.
There are three common reasons why a fee deferral may not be working for you, and our recommendations to help you resolve it:
You just submitted your financial aid application
Wait two business days, and try again up until two days before the deadline.
Your student number is missing or is incorrect on your OSAP application
Login to your OSAP account and check that your student number is entered correctly. A missing digit will prevent you from requsting a fee deferral on ACORN
You have outstanding fees from a previous session
Pay your outstanding fees immediately. You can request a fee deferral once the payment has been credited to your ACORN account (remember that it can take up to 3 business days for your payment to process).
If you are experiencing financial difficulties, please meet with a Financial Aid Advisor as soon as possible.
If none of these solutions work for you, and you are not able to defer your fees on ACORN, notify the Office of the Registrar by submitting the Fee Deferral Form on AskRegistrar.
If the value of your U of T scholarships is equal to or greater than your minimum payment to register for the fall/winter as listed on ACORN, request a fee deferral for the Fall-Winter term by following the instructions below:
- Login to AskRegistrar
- Select "Student Forms", and click on Tuition Fee Deferral - Scholarship