Frequently Asked Questions
REGISTRATION & BONDS
Question: Who can participate in UTM Intramurals?
- Answer: All current UTM students who pay their UTM Athletics ancillary fee can participate in the UTM Intramurals program. In addition, all active RAWC members can participate in accordance with the UTM Intramurals eligibility requirements. Please refer to the Eligibility section in the UTM Intramurals Handbook for more information.
NEW - Starting in Fall 2019, UTM staff and faculty can purchase a UTM Intramurals staff pass to participate with leagues and tournaments, without the commitment of a full-priced membership. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
Question: Can non-UTM students play in the UTM Intramurals program?
- Answer: Yes! Faculty, Staff and UTM Alumni can participate in UTM Intramurals program by purchasing an RAWC membership, or the new UTM Intramurals Staff Pass.
Question: How do I register a team for UTM Intramurals in-person leagues?
Step One - submit a Team Entry Form to the UTM Intramurals administrative staff by the registration deadline. Both electronic submission to email@example.com or in hardcopy to the Program Office are accepted.
Step Two - after submitting your entry form, you will receive confirmation by email outlining the scheduled captain’s meeting for the league(s) you wish to join. A team representative must be present at the Team Captain’s meeting, unless otherwise agreed to by the Intramurals staff.
Step Three - After the meeting, teams are to pay their performance bond at the membership services desk.
Step Four – After paying the performance bond, teams create a team on the UTM Intramurals IMLeagues and invite their teammates to join.
Please note your spot is secured only when you have completed all four steps listed above.
Visit the How to Register webpage for more information on registration steps for virtual leagues or how to join as a Free Agent.
Question: I cannot attend the schedule a captain’s meeting, what do I do?
- Answer: If you are a team captain and cannot attend the captains meeting, a registered member of your team can attend in your place. If no member of your team can attend, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an alternate method of receiving league information.
Question: When is the registration period?
- Answer: FALL registration opens in early September and WINTER registration opens at the end of November. SUMMER registration will open at the end of April.
Please refer to the UTM Sports Calendar for registration deadlines.
Question: Can the captain sign-up the entire team or does each individual need to register?
- Answer: Team captains register their team with the Department and on IMLeagues. Each member of the team will then individually join their team on IM Leagues.
If you are new to IMLeagues, Please refer to the IMLeagues Step by Step Participant Registration to create an account.
Question: Can I still participate in UTM Intramurals if I haven’t registered on IM Leagues?
- Answer: If participants haven’t registered by their first scheduled games on IM Leagues, they will be permitted to participate but will have 24 hours after to the game to register. Participants will not be permitted to participate in subsequent games until registration on IMLeagues is complete.
IM Leagues is used to track athlete playoff eligibility and failure to register may result in athletes not being allowed to participate in playoff rounds.
Question: How much does it cost to play in UTM Intramurals program?
- Answer: Teams pay a $50 performance bond, which is a deposit held in trust by the Department. The full amount will be refunded to the individual account who paid the bond at the end of the season and/or tournament provided the team does not commit any infractions, suspensions, roster violations and/or defaults. All payments are made at the RAWC Membership Services desk.
Question: How and when do I get my performance bond back?
- Answer: At the end of the season or tournament an email will be sent to all individuals who paid their bond confirming a refund has been made to their account. Performance bonds will be issued back using the same method of payment (credit/debit) at the RAWC Membership Services desk.
Question: I don’t have a team to enter, can I register as an individual?
- Answer: Individual players can register as Free Agents on IM Leagues and send their registration information to email@example.com, outlining the league(s) they wish to join. It is strongly recommended that you attend the captain’s meetings introducing yourself to teams and expressing interest to join.
Please note UTM Intramurals staff will do their best to assist Free Agents in finding a team, but cannot guarantee placement.
Question: How many games do I have to play in order to be eligible for playoffs?
- Answer: UTM Intramurals participants need to compete in 40% of regular season games to be playoff eligibility. All eligibility is tracked via game sheets and uploaded onto IM Leagues.
For example, in a five game season, participants are required to play two out of the five games to be eligible for playoffs.
Note that it is the responsibility of each individual player to ensure they have signed-in on the game sheet for each game. Failure to do so may result in players not being eligible to participate in playoffs.
For more information on Playoff Eligibility, please refer to the UTM Intramural Handbook
Question: I forgot my T-Card, can I still play UTM Intramurals?
- Answer: If you forgot your T-Card, you can get a temporary pass from the RAWC Membership Services desk. You will need to show this pass along with a piece of photo-ID to the UTM Intramurals Game Manager to sign-in on the game sheet.
Question: How many teams can I play for?
- Answer: Participants are allowed to play on one sport team per sport division. For instance, participants can play for one team in a Coed Indoor Soccer and one team in Open Indoor Soccer but not two teams in Open Indoor Soccer.
Question: Can Varsity Athletes participate in UTM Intramurals?
- Answer: Varsity athletes cannot participate in Intramurals competition in the sport they play at the Varsity level. Athletes appearing on an OCAA Declaration List for the academic year must sit out the full calendar year from UTM Intramurals participation.
Question: When does my team’s schedule go up on IM Leagues?
- Answer: All schedules will be released no later than 48 hours before competition begins. An email will be sent to captains notifying them when the schedules have been updated.
Question: When will my playoff schedule be released?
- Answer: Playoff dates and times will be circulated at the team captains meetings. Teams can follow their standings throughout the season on IM Leagues. Once regular season league games are complete, the playoff games will be uploaded to IM Leagues and email notification sent to captains.
Question: Where can I find the playing times for each sport league and tournaments?
- Answer: All sport playing times are listed on the UTM Sports Calendar. Please review the calendar to know when leagues and tournaments will be offered each season.
Question: Where are UTM Intramurals games played?
- Answer: All Indoor Sport leagues (basketball, indoor soccer, dodgeball, cricket, volleyball) will take place in the Recreation, Athletics and Wellness Centre Gymnasiums. All Outdoor leagues will take place on North Field, located in front of the North Building.
DEFAULTS, FORFEITS AND CANCELLATIONS
Question: My team is going to be short players, can I reschedule my game?
- Answer: Please review the rescheduling procedures:
- Email your opponent and notify them you are requesting to change the game time. This can be done on IM Leagues or in another preferred method of communication.
- Contact other teams in your leagues to swap games times.
- Once the approval of all three team captains is confirmed for switching game times, contact the UTM Intramurals administrative staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with all team captains CC’d outlining the teams, dates and game times being switched.
- The UTM Intramurals administrative staff will confirm the receipt and reflect the change on IM Leagues.
Question: How does my team default a game and avoid it affecting our team Performance Bond?
- Answer: Teams must email email@example.com 48 hours in advance notifying of your team forfeit.
A forfeit will result in a loss for the team and will affect team standings but will not incur any financial fines.
Games cancelled less than 48 hours in advance, no shows and/or not enough having enough players will result in a default and deduction from the team’s performance bond.
Question: If the weather is bad, is my game cancelled?
- Answer: If you do not receive notification of cancelled games, then all programs will continue as planned.
In the event of the University being closed due to inclement weather, ALL UTM Intramurals programs will be cancelled. Administrative staff will notify participants of game cancellations on IM Leagues, social media and email. The UTM Intramurals administrative staff will do our best in rescheduling all cancelled games. However, there is no guarantee that the games will be rescheduled.
Question: I cannot find the answer to my question anywhere online, what do I do?
- Answer: Please contact the UTM Intramurals administration staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to answer any additional questions you may have!