Summer Program for Students Displaced from Studies in Ukraine

A group of seven students appear in front of a blue and yellow background with an image of the UTM campus in the background

The Summer Program for Students Displaced from Studies in Ukraine will offer undergraduate students from Ukrainian universities the opportunity to study at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) for four months between May - August, 2022. This program is intended to support students' access to higher education if their studies were disrupted by the war in Ukraine. Eligible students will be welcomed into our community to live and study at UTM for the duration of the summer session at no cost.

This is a fully-funded, in-person academic experience that will provide on-campus housing, a stipend, and will cover all travel costs to help you arrive safely from your current location to Mississauga (and return home).


  • Citizens of all countries are eligible
  • You were enrolled in a Ukrainian university for the Fall 2021 - Spring 2022 academic year
  • If accepted, you must be physically present in Canada in order to participate
  • Students should be able to undertake Arts, Science, or Business courses taught in English

Please note that the language of instruction and examination at U of T is English. While we are not asking for proof of English proficiency as part of this application, successful completion of academic courses at UTM will require a moderate to high level of English proficiency. 

Duration of Enrolment

In the Summer, we offer both compressed and standard pace courses. Some can be completed in as few as two months, and some may be four months in duration. Course start and end dates are:

  • May 9 - June 24, 2022
  • May 9 - August 19, 2022
  • July 4 - August 19, 2022


Friday, April 29, 2022

Application Process

To express your interest in this program, submit the preliminary application form, which will include a short personal statement (maximum 300 words).

After you apply, your application will be reviewed by the University of Toronto Mississauga. Eligible students will receive an email with instructions on how to submit the following documents:

  • resume/CV
  • transcripts
  • letter of reference

Apply now

Successful applicants will be notified via email as soon as possible. While having all the supporting materials will improve your chances of being accepted, we understand that under the circumstances, providing all the requested supporting documentation might be challenging. Incomplete applications will also be considered.

Frequently Asked Questions

What grades do I need to be accepted?

Grades are not the only deciding factor, other strengths such as research experience or excellent quantitative skills are also considered.

Do I need a visa to travel to Canada?

Citizens of many countries (including Ukraine) require a visa to travel to Canada.The Canadian government recently announced the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) for Ukrainian citizens and their immediate families that are affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

What are the next steps if I am accepted?

Once you receive the acceptance letter, please do the following:

  1. Confirm your participation in the program by replying to our email containing your acceptance letter and providing additional requested information.  
  2. If you’ve not already done so, apply for permission to travel to Canada.
  3. If you have received a Canadian visa, inform us of your eligibility to enter Canada.  
  4. Consult us on the dates for purchasing a flight ticket.

When should I apply for a visa?

If you are a Ukrainian citizen, you can apply for a visa (and work authorization) through the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) at any time as it is a separate process from your application to the University of Toronto. We encourage you to apply as early as possible, as you will not be able to participate in the program if you do not receive a Canadian visa.

If you are not a Ukrainian citizen (or the spouse/partner or child of one), you do not qualify to apply to come to Canada through the CUAET. In this case, your ability to participate in the program will depend on how quickly your visa application is processed. The University of Toronto is unable to ensure that you will receive your visa in time for the start of the program.

Please refer to the CUAET website for information on how to apply for a Canadian visa and on relevant vaccination requirements. Further to these requirements, currently one must be vaccinated in order to reside in University of Toronto dormitories.

Who can I ask for help with my visa application?

Any questions can be addressed to one of our immigration advisors at the International Education Centre. They can be reached via email at

Do I need to be vaccinated for COVID-19?

While individuals not vaccinated for COVID-19 are still able to enter Canada under CUAET, provided that they follow public health guidelines, currently one must be vaccinated to live in University of Toronto dorms or to be on University of Toronto’s campus. You will thus need to get vaccinated either before, or just after you arrive in Canada.

I have a child/family or another situation that would make it difficult for me to live in university dormitories. Can I still participate?

If you are accepted into the program we will work with you in identifying appropriate housing for your specific needs.

I submitted my application, should I buy a flight ticket?

No, please wait for the Acceptance Letter. Submitting your application doesn’t qualify you for participation in the program. Only successful applicants’ travel will be eligible for reimbursement. Individuals accepted into the program will be required to purchase their own flights for which they will be reimbursed after their arrival. Should you require financial assistance for your flight purchase, please contact us. 

What will I be able to do once the program ends in August?

We are hopeful that at the end of the summer the situation in Ukraine has improved, and you will be able to return home to continue studies at your university. Having said that, if you are admitted into an acceptable academic program in Canada, you can apply for an expedited and fee-exempt study permit (if you qualified for the CUAET) or a study permit extension (if you did not), to allow you to continue your education. Please note, campus housing will not be available beyond August 21. Also, those that qualify for the CUAET can get a work permit allowing them to remain in Canada and work. Please contact our immigration advisors at for more information.

Can you tell me about other similar opportunities?

Postdoctoral fellows and research scientists interested in learning about similar opportunities offered by the University of Toronto's Department of Computer Science are invited to complete this form to receive information when it becomes available. The Vector Institute also accepts postdoctoral fellow applications throughout the year.

Please note that participation in this summer program is not considered admission to the University of Toronto for degree studies. Students who are interested in joining our community to pursue their undergraduate or graduate studies can learn about the admission process by visiting our Future Students website for more information.