Parent & Family Orientation
Parents and families play a pivotal role in a student's transition to university. We want to help you be the best support for your student!
Parent & Family Orientation is a program designed for parents and families of incoming UTM students to learn about life at UTM.
Get the information you need to be the best support for your student during their transition to university!
Orientation sessions focus on academic expectations and skill development, course registration, experiential learning, student wellness, campus resources and other topics related to the university experience. At the Parent & Family Orientation you will be introduced to the UTM community including students, staff and faculty members. This year, Parent and Family Orientation will be held virtually. All parents and family members who sign up for Parent and Family Communication Updates, will receive links to take part in Parent and Family Orientation.
Begins Aug. 20 and runs through September
The UTM Parent and Family Orientation is a series of informative sessions designed to orient you to UTM resources, policies, programs and expectations. This year we will be offering a series of pre-recorded online video modules, as well as, live webinar panel discussions.
Online Video Learning Modules
These learning modules will be available online beginning Aug. 20, 2020. These modules are designed for you to review at a pace comfortable for you, and will remain accessbile through September 2020. The learning modules are as follows:
Learning Module 1: Campus Overview
- Principal’s Welcome
- UTM Response to COVID
Learning Module 2: Courses and Fees
- Earning a Degree at UTM
- Financing Your Education
Learning Module 3: Thriving Inside and Outside the Classroom
- Tips for Academic Success
- UTM Resources: Know Them, Share Them, Encourage Them
- Finding Identity and Community at UTM
- Introduction to the University of Toronto Mississauga Students' Union (UTMSU)
Learning Module 4: Community of Care
- Parenting a University Student
- Health, Wellness, and Safety
- Staying Connected
Webinar Panel Discussions
The panel discussions provide you an opportunity to connect with a specific community at UTM. These live, online webinars will allow you the opportunity to gain more information on a specific topic of interest to your family. You will also have the opportunity, if you desire, to ask questions to a team of panelists comprised of students, staff, and faculty.
The webinars are all scheduled to take place the week of Aug. 31, 2020.
Webinar Panel Discussion topics include (all times offered in Eastern Daylight Time):
- Residence Family Discussion: Monday, Aug. 31 10-11 a.m.
- BIPOC Family Discussion (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour): Tuesday, Sept. 1 10-11 a.m.
- International Family Discussion: Wednesday, Sept. 2nd 7-8 a.m.
- Commuter and First-Generation Family Discussion: Wednesday, Sept. 2 5-6 p.m.
- Transfer Family Discussion: Thursday, Sept. 3 12-1 p.m.
- LGBTQ2S+ Family Discussion: Thursday, Sept. 3 1-2 p.m.
For all questions and feedback regarding Parent & Family Orientation, please contact:
Manager, Orientation, Transition & Engagement
- Room 2093, William G. Davis Building (Find us on a map here!)
- Phone: 905-569-4626
- Email: email@example.com