Request to Mark Secondary School Transfer Credit as Extra

Since the course work that generates these transfer credits was completed as a compulsory part of a secondary school curriculum, U of T Mississauga permits a student attending university for the first time to mark these credits as Extra.

Students transferring from another division at U of T or another post-secondary institution are not eligible to mark awarded secondary school transfer credits as Extra.

You are advised to have a discussion with the Academic Advising team and your desired program area's Undergraduate Advisor before requesting to mark credits as Extra, as they can help clarify the decision with you.

If the transfer credit you received is equivalent to a course at U of T Mississauga as specified in the curriculum charts, you may enrol in that U of T Mississauga course to earn a grade and credit for it. The U of T Mississauga course will not be marked as extra and your transfer credit will still count towards your total degree credit count.

How Transfer Credits Are Used for my Degree?

Secondary school transfer credits may be used as part of the total degree credit count (20.0) needed for a degree at U of T Mississauga. Many transfer credits may be used toward completion of the Distribution Requirement (one of the requirements of the degree) and in some cases they may be used to fulfill program and prerequisite requirements.

Deadline to make a request

For students admitted in September 2022, the deadline is May 31, 2023.

For students admitted in September 2023, the deadline is May 31, 2024.

Rules and regulations

If you are eligible for more than the 3.0 credit limit, you may request your awarded credits be adjusted/swapped.

Should you choose to mark your transfer credits as Extra, they will not be reinstated at a later date. It is important that you make an informed decision, so if you are unsure, consult the Academic Advising team or the Undergraduate Advisor of your desired program area.

You can request to mark some or all of your transfer credits as Extra. However, if you wish to do so for a secondary school course, you have to mark all of the credits for that course. You cannot mark partial credits for one particular course. If you choose to mark as Extra transfer credit given for a course for which you were awarded two half credits, you must mark as Extra both half credits.

The option to mark secondary school transfer credits as Extra is only available to students who have not attended another post-secondary institution or other division at U of T.

Transfer credits that have been marked as Extra will carry a credit weight of 0.00 on ACORN and Degree Explorer. Extra courses do not count towards the total number of credits required for a degree and are not included in the GPA, but may be used to satisfy distribution, program, prerequisite, or corequisite requirements

How to request to mark courses as Extra

In order to submit a formal request, send an email from your account to You must use the following template when composing your email. Ensure to replace all bolded text with your information before submission. Processing time can be up to 10 business days for your record to be updated.

My name is FIRST & LAST NAME, student number 100XXXXXXX, and I wish to mark the following transfer credits awarded as Extra from my CURRICULUM NAME:

    Secondary School Course (U of T Mississauga Course Code)
•    Example: A-Level Accounting (MGT1**H)

I have read and understand the rules and regulations surrounding the forfeiture of my secondary school transfer credits. I also acknowledge that I have had the opportunity to discuss my questions and concerns with an Academic Advisor in the Office of the Registrar.

Thank you,

Please note that incomplete requests and requests received after the deadline date above will not be processed.