December 2023 UTM Anthropology News for Undergraduate Students
Featuring news, reminders, and updates for students in UTM Anthropology courses and programs. Questions may be directed to email@example.com.
Final exams and UTMAS exam destressor event
As the Fall term winds down we wish everyone good luck on your final coursework and to those writing final exams! Need to check the exam schedule?
Do you need a break from studying? Join UTMAS at their Exam Destressor Event on Friday, December 1!
Spotlight on Winter term special topic courses
Are you looking for an upper-year Anthropology course?
Consider enrolling in one of our special topic courses, such as ANT431H5S Special Problems in Sociocultural and Linguistic Anthropology. The topic title is The Promises and Perils of Planning: Ethnographic Perspectives.
Offered Wednesday 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM in the Winter 2024 term at UTM.
Meet the UTMAS executive team on Instagram!
Follow UTMAS on Instagram! They have their full executive team for the 2023/2024 academic year all lined up and will be posting introductions to the team: Michele, Carly, Tami, Hailey, Jenna H., Rithi, Tania, Samuel, Jenna Y., Raman, Undleeb, and Muznah!
News about your professors
Professor David R. Samson was awarded the 2023 Balsillie Prize for Public Policy in Toronto on November 28 for his book Our Tribal Future: How to Channel our Foundational Human Instincts Into a Force for Good. Professor Samson offers a hopeful vision for the future, and explores how our tribal brains, which evolved to help us survive and cooperate in small groups, are ill-equipped to deal with the complex challenges of our globalized world.
Congratulations Professor Samson!
Our Skills Development Workshops will be offered again in the Winter term!
These short workshops are conveniently offered over the lunch hour, and light refreshments will be served!
First- and second-year anthropology students who want to improve their studying habits, time management skills, writing, and professionalism are encouraged to attend!
Dates and deadline reminders
- Extended deadline: Sunday, February 11, 2024 at 11:59pm is the deadline to apply for the Snil “Sunny” Sahanan Memorial Scholarship offered by the Department of Anthropology (approximate value of $1150.00 CAD).
- Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 11:59pm is the deadline for students who wish to submit the Department of Anthropology Equity, Diversity and Inclusion survey.
- Monday, December 4th, 2023 is the Team Registration deadline for UTM ICUBE's Sustainability Innovation Challenge with Sobeys Inc., a competition dedicated to advancing sustainability through student-industry collaboration.
- Tuesday, December 5, 2023 Fall F term classes end.
- December 7 - 20, 2023 Final Exam Period.
- Monday, January 8, 2024 Winter S term classes begin.
UTM Winter break dates
Enjoy the break and we will see you in January!
- UTM will be closed for the winter break from Thursday, December 21, 2023 through Tuesday, January 2, 2024.
- The Department of Anthropology will re-open on Wednesday, January 3, 2024.
- Winter S term classes begin on Monday, January 8, 2024.