The cost for most appointments at the Health & Counselling Centre are covered by OHIP (or provincial equivilent) or UHIP.

Cards must be shown at each visit. If no card is presented you will be invoiced for the visit. 

OHIP - An Ontario Health Card (or provincial equivilent) is required for all physician appointments. Please make sure your card has not expired.

UHIP - University Health Insurance Plan is required by all International students at UTM for all physician appointments. This card expires each year in August and a new one is issued in the fall.  New cards are available online - more information is available on the Centre for International Experience's (CIE) UHIP webpage.  

Uninsured Services - View our price list for birth control, common vaccines, miscellaneous tests and other uninsured services. New prices are effective as of January 6, 2020.

Health & Dental Plan - Your Health & Dental Plan is provided by your student union, and details differ depending on your student status.  Please contact your student union for further information or find the links to individual plans below.

Full-Time Undergraduates: UTMSU - This health care plan is provided by Green Shield Canada.  Please see the Green shield website for detailed information. UTMSU Health & Dental Plan Brochure

Part-Time Undergraduates: APUS - This health care plan is provided by Green Shield Canada.  Please see the Green Shield website detailed information.

Graduate Students: UTGSU - This health care plan is provided by Student Care Canada.  Please see the Student Care website for detailed information. UTGSU Health & Dental Plan Brochure

UHIP (International Students Only)

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) has made changes to how international students receive their health card.  Students are now able to access their cards online.  Details about this new process are available on the Centre for International Experience's (CIE) UHIP webpage.  

ALL International students at UTM are required to have UHIP coverage. You must show your UHIP card at each visit.

If International students are seen off-campus then a UHIP form must be taken with the student to the visit. (ALWAYS KEEP ONE WITH YOU)

*NOTE* If you are seen at a clinic off-campus you must expect to pay for your visit. The UHIP form must be filled out by the doctor who saw you and you then claim the money back from the insurance company.

UHIP Frequently Asked Questions

What is UHIP? And who gets it?
University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is an insurance plan for international students and offers comparable coverage to OHIP or other Canadian provincial health care plans.  Enrolment in UHIP is compulsory for International students because it provides the coverage needed to pay for (or be reimbursed for) health care services and medical treatments.   

Where do I get my UHIP card?
UHIP cards are available online.  Follow the step-by-step instructions.

What does UHIP cover?
UHIP covers visits to doctors, medical specialists and hospital stays.  It also covers laboratory (blood work etc) and diagnostics charges (X-ray’s & Ultrasounds).   For complete details, please go to UHIP Plan Details.

What is NOT covered by UHIP?
UHIP does not cover prescription drugs, eyeglasses, dental surgery, or immunizations.  Some of these services are covered by the extended health care plan offered through your student union.  For more information about that plan visit the UTMSU website or your student union.

How does UHIP work?
The process for using your UHIP coverage varies by location: 

A) At the UTM Health & Counselling Centre
It is most convenient for students to use the services at the UTM Health & Counselling Centre and you are encouraged to call or visit ahead of time to make an appointment.  At the time of your appointment you must bring your UHIP card with you.  If you do not have your UHIP card, you must pay for your appointment up-front.

B) At Credit Valley Hospital (a “preferred provider network” (PPN) location)
When visiting Credit Valley Hospital you must bring your UHIP card and a claim form with you.  For a list of other PPN locations, please visit the UHIP website.

C) At all other clinics or hospital
When visiting another clinic you must bring your UHIP card and a claim form with you.  You will have to pay the clinic or hospital up-front.  You will then submit the completed claim form to Sun Life.

Where do I get a claim form?
A claim form can be downloaded here. You can also pick-up claim forms outside of the Health & Counselling Centre (DV 1123A).

How do I submit a claim form?
Bring the claim form with you while visiting the doctor’s office.  After you complete sections 1, 2 & 3 on the claim form have the doctor complete sections 4 & 5.  Mail your completed claim form, including all the original receipts, to SunLife at the address indicated on the claim form.  Remember to keep photocopies of the submitted documents for your own records.

What if I still have questions?