English Language Requirements
English is the language of instruction and examination at the University of Toronto, and success in our programs requires a high level of English language proficiency.
University of Toronto English Language Requirements
You will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency if:
- English is not your first language (i.e. is not the first language you learned at home as a child);
- You have not completed at least four or more years of full-time study at a recognized Canadian school that teaches in English;
- You have not completed at least four or more years of full-time study in an English language school located in a country where the dominant language is English;
- Your first language is not French and you have not completed four or more years of full-time studies at a recognized Canadian school.
To qualify for an exemption from the English language requirement:
- Provide your full academic history on your application for admission and provide all relevant transcripts to U of T (after you have submitted your application), so that we can consider you for an exemption on the basis of these criteria.
- You may also qualify for an exemption if you have studied in English (for at least four years) in any of the countries/territories listed on the Future Students website. Remember that your eligibility for an exemption will be determined after you have submitted your application for admission and relevant supporting documents and the list is for informational purposes only.
Acceptable Tests of English Facility
If you are required to present evidence of English language facility, you can satisfy the requirement by completing one of the tests/qualifications listed below with acceptable results. We will not accept your Grade 12 English results, your results in any other English course/tests, or letters of reference from your school or employer for this purpose.
For a full list of acceptable tests as well as detailed instructions, please visit: future.utoronto.ca/apply/english-language-requirements/
|Test of English As a Foreign Language (TOEFL)||
Internet-based Test: Total score of 100 + 22 on Writing section. Electronic request code: 0982-00.
Paper-delivered Test: Results will be reviewed on an individual basis.
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Module||
Minimum overall band of 6.5 with no band lower than 6.0. Electronic copies only sent from testing centre.
Note: we do not accept the IELTS Indicator test.
See below for information about booking your IELTS test at U of T Mississauga!
|International Baccalaureate English||A score of at least 4 (predicted or final) in:
|Duolingo English Test||
The minimum requirement is an overall score of 120. Subscore results must be submitted. For information, visit: englishtest.duolingo.com
Results from tests completed before July 15, 2019 will not be accepted.
|Cambridge Assessment English||
Submit a copy of your Statement of Results and provide us with your Candidate ID and Candidate Secret Number.
|ELDA/COPE||Minimum overall score of 86, 32 in Writing, and 22 in each of Reading and Listening.|
|Ontario College of Applied Arts and Technology||
U of T Mississauga is an official International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Test Centre and you have the option to take an IELTS test right on campus.
The Academic Culture and English (ACE@UTM) program is designed for students who have been admitted to U of T Mississauga but require additional English language development. The successful completion of ACE@UTM is sometimes a condition of an offer of admission to the university – please refer to your original offer of admission if you are unsure.