The Mobility Network at the University of Toronto Mississauga is pleased to announce its third round of funding support for graduate student summer internships in Summer 2024. The Mobility Network, an Institutional Strategic Initiative, allocates funding to support graduate students enrolled in University of Toronto Mississauga Professional Graduate Programs in support of the Mobility Network’s mission to foster interdisciplinary mobility research that addresses equity and promotes resilient, sustainable and just urban growth and prosperity.
This funding call is geared towards UTM Professional Graduate Programs in which students are required to complete a summer internship as a condition of graduation. The available funds are provided to offset the student’s summer internship salary, up to a maximum of $5,000 per student. Awards will be prioritized to support the participation of students in a paid summer internship at a public or non-profit organization in Ontario. UTM professional graduate programs can apply for a maximum of two awards annually, in partnership with a public or non-profit organization. The proposed work must have a focus on mobility.
The UTM Mobility Network is strongly committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) within its community and research environment and especially welcomes applications that support Indigenous students, Black and students of color, women, students with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ students, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of perspective and lived experiences.
The total value of each award is up to $5,000. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until funds are depleted, beginning January 14, 2024. The student intern does not have to be confirmed prior to the funding application.
The award period is for Summer 2024 internships of at least 12 weeks in duration.
Mobility Network Summer Internship award applications must be submitted by Professional Graduate Program Placement Coordinators, in collaboration with an eligible partnership organization. Applications for professional graduate programs will be evaluated based on the ability to provide a student with a meaningful summer internship experience at a public or non-profit organization (50%), and the fit of the proposed work to the Mobility Network’s goal of supporting interdisciplinary mobility research that addresses equity and promotes resilient, sustainable and just urban growth and prosperity (50%).
Conditions of Award
- Students receiving Mobility Network funds to support a professional graduate program summer internship will be expected to:
- Submit a written project report and deliver a research presentation (either at MN, UTM-MN or UTM research) in the academic year following the summer internship
- Participate in MN research network activities in the academic year following the summer internship
- Acknowledge Mobility Network funding and affiliation in any publications, presentations or reports stemming from grant-funded work.
- Statement: A maximum 1-page (single spaced, 12-point font) statement that includes the following:
- Identify UTM graduate program leading application
- Provide details on internship partner, goals of internship, and timing.
- Provide a brief overview of what the student intern will work on, with specific attention to Mobility Network priorities
- Identify amount of funding being requested (maximum of $5000 per award) and source/amount of any additional funds to cover student internship costs
- Include an email or letter from the public or non-profit partner organization indicating support for the award application and briefly highlighting how a student intern could contribute to their organization’s goals
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis beginning on January 14, 2024.
Please send your complete application package to:
UTM Mobility Network
Subject Heading: [Your Name] Summer Internship Award Application (UTM-MN)