Fall Move-In Information #WelcomeHome
The Government of Canada outlined the requirements for Mandatory Quarantine for Travelers to Canada. The Federal Government has put in place an emergency order under the Quarantine Ace. This applies to all travelers to Canada regardless of the country of origin. Failure to comply with this order is an offence under the Quarantine Act and may lead to significant fines or imprisonment.
As of July 5, travelers who are fully vaccinated with a Canadian Government accepted vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD or Jansse (Johnson & Johnson)) may be exempt from the 14-day quarantine period, the mandatory hotel stay and the day-8 testing. These travelers will be required to take a COVID-19 test upon arrival to Canada. Travelers with a positive or inconclusive test result will be required to quarantine.
A quarantine plan is still required and fully vaccinated students must register with the UofT quarantine program to ensure they have a plan in place. More information can be found here: https://www.viceprovoststudents.utoronto.ca/covid-19/#Quarantine
Students moving into residence are expected to get their first dose of the vaccine before their residence move-in date. Students who are unable to get vaccinated before moving into residence will have 14 days following their move-in date to get vaccinated. More information can be found here: https://www.viceprovoststudents.utoronto.ca/covid-19/#ResidenceFall2021
UTM Undergraduate Residence Move-In Dates: September 3 & 4, 2021
Please be aware that you will be assigned an exact move-in date & time. Move-in information will be released in early August!
Undergraduate Move-In Guides & Maps
Check out our Move-In Guides for directions, maps, and information on what to expect throughout the day! Make sure to open the Move-In Guide that corresponds to your correct Move-In date!
Want to know what your Move-In route looks like? Check out our Driving Route Video. Be sure to use the minute bar to navigate to your correct move-in date & area.
You can also check out our Move-In videos below to learn more. Please make sure to watch the video that corresponds to your move-in date & timeslot.
What to Expect
When you arrive for your Move-In Day, you can expect the following:
1. Health Screening - Before reaching your residence area, all guests and students will be required to do a Health Screen. All students will be required to show a Student Housing & Residence Life staff member a UCheck with a green status or complete verbal health screening. Any guests will be required to complete a verbal Health Screen.
2. Key Pick Up - All residents will be required to pick up their key at their designated area of move-in. Traffic will be one-way so students should follow the recommended route found in the move-in maps.
3. Masks - All students and guests will be expected to follow UofT implemented measures that call for non-medical masks or face covering to be worn inside buildings. For the duration of your move-in, we ask that all students and guests wear non-medical masks or face coverings in ALL areas of residence.
4. Guest Limit - To assist in limiting the number of people on campus, we are limiting the number of guests to assist with your move-in to 2 people. If possible, we encourage guests to say goodbye to students at their vehicle and avoid entering our buildings. Guests will not be permitted after your move-in.
5. Physical Distancing - If you leave your vehicle, we ask students and guests to maintain 2 meter or 6-feet physical distancing as much as possible.
6. Parking - If you need to park, parking will be available in P4/P8/P5 as indicated on the Move-In Maps. Please note that parking will be free only on September 3, 2021 and September 4, 2021.
Fall Frequently Asked Questions
What safety measures will you be putting in place on move-in day?
UTM Student Housing & Residence Life is dedicated to ensuring that your move-in experience is safe and supportive. Some other measures you can expect to see on Move-In Day are:
- All students and guests will be expected to follow University of Toronto implemented measures that call for non-medical masks or face covering to be worn inside buildings. For the duration of our Move-In Day, we ask that all students and guests wear non-medical masks or face coverings in all areas of residence.
- For everyone’s safety, we need to limit the number of people on campus for Move-In Day. As such, we recommend you bring 1 guest, up to a maximum of 2 guests, to assist with your move-in.
- Staff will not report to work if experiencing flu-like symptoms.
- All personnel will wear personal protective gear including a mask
- All move-in supplies will be sanitized after each use.
- Buildings will be transformed, where possible, to encourage one-way foot traffic. Please keep an eye out for markers to indicate physical distancing.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be readily available in all move-in areas of residence.
What do I do if I am arriving by taxi?
Please direct your taxi to enter the campus through the correct entrance (see move-in map for your respective move-in date). The taxi will need to follow the map to your move-in area. Once you reach your move-in area, please wait until a Student Housing & Residence Life representative approaches your car to give you further instructions.
What should I pack or bring to residence?
If you are unsure what to pack, we have a helpful Preparation Checklist that you can check out to help guide you!
I am currently living internationally and will need to quarantine after arriving in Canada, can I do that in residence?
The Quarantine Act does not permit quarantines to take place in student residences or other group living environments. Students moving into a U of T student residence must apply for U of T’s quarantine program.
The application form is available at residence.utoronto.ca. Please login with your UTORid and Password and complete the Mandatory Quarantine application.
Can I move in early?
Please contact the Residence Services Desk regarding any issues with your move-in date or time at firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I send some of my belongings to residence before move-in day?
We understand that travelling with all of your essential items may be difficult. If you will be quarantining and want to send essential belongings to UTM Residence to be available for your arrival, you can send them to
3353 Mississauga Rd.
We will do our best to deliver your items to your unit as quickly as possible, however given the capacity of our staff and operations, you may experience delays. Please keep in mind that this is not intended for all of your belongings and should only be used for some essentials through quarantine that you may not be able to take with you in your travels.
I can't be there for move-in day. Can my parent pick up my keys?
Releasing keys to anyone other than the Resident is prohibited. When picking up keys, Residents must have a piece of government-issued I.D.
Can my parents stay overnight?
At this time, we have a no guest policy in residence; this is to ensure the safety of our residence community. Additionally, overnight guests are not permitted during move-in day and the first two weeks of September. We have plenty of fun things planned for you during that time to keep you occupied! We recommend that parents say their goodbyes to students at their car after check-in.
Do I need to bring my own trolley/dolly?
Each student will receive one move-in cart that has been sanitized after each use
Is anyone going to help us move in our things?
Yes, all of our staff and volunteers are here to assist you to move in your belongings.
Is there somewhere to store my suitcases/trunks/extra furniture/etc?
Townhouses and apartment style units have common area closets. However, we encourage that you only bring what you need.
Can I bring my own mattress or other furniture to my room?
There is no extra storage space in the residences so we cannot store any of the current furniture that is in your room. For this reason, the furniture provided must remain in the unit. If you choose to bring extra furniture for the common area in your unit, you can do so pending space available.
When will I get my T-Card?
You will be able to get you Tcard on move-in day if you complete the necessary steps indicated here: https://www.utm.utoronto.ca/iits/services/tcard-services!
Important documentation is required for you to be able to receive your TCard. Visit the website for details, but most students will generally need:
Valid Government-issued Photo Identification* or passport to establish your identity
Citizenship documents such as passport or birth certificate to establish your tuition eligibility*
Valid study permit, if you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, to establish your eligibility to study in Canada
Important: If your study permit is expiring in 3 months or less, we are requesting that you provide proof that you have applied to extend your study permit prior to receiving your TCard
*The names on this documentation must match the names in your University student records. All documents must be original. Copies (paper or electronic) will not be accepted.
If you have any questions regarding the documents required for your TCard, please visit https://www.utm.utoronto.ca/iits/services/tcard
When will the cafeteria open?
More information to come
What happens during Orientation after I move in?
For more information about Orientation, stay tuned to our Orientation page.
Winter Move-In Information
More information coming in January 2022!