Winter Break 2022 Summary
The University of Toronto exam season and holiday season are approaching, if you are unable to travel at this time you can stay with us at no additional cost* throughout the winter break! Please review the information below regarding winter break accommodation.
ABOUT THE WINTER BREAK
Exams end on December 21. The University is closed from 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, December 21, 2022 until 9:00 a.m. on Monday, January 3, 2022. Residence re-opens at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, January 2, 2023.
Residents are required to vacate residence by:
- no later than 24 hours after their last December exam, OR
- by no later than 9:00 am on Wednesday December 21, 2022 as specified in the University Academic Calendar, whichever comes first.
The Resident is expected to secure alternate accommodation during this period. Residents may return to the premises no earlier than 9:00 a.m. EST on Monday, January 2, 2023. If you require accommodations during this period, you will be required to submit an application. See information below.
If you are approved to stay during the Winter Break, please note that during the University closure, all on campus food services (i.e. Colman Commons) will be closed, no caretaking or maintenance services will be provided above and beyond emergency services. Please note Colman Commons will resume operations on January 2, 2023. No overnight guests or social gatherings are permitted; it is 24-hour quiet period for the entirety of the Winter Break.
Travelling during the winter break? Make sure your immigration documents are up to date (study permit and entry visa/eTA) and to meet the vaccination requirements for re-entry!
Work Order Portal Closure: During the Winter Break Closure, Student Housing & Residence Life will have maintenance staff available on an on-call basis only. During this time the work order system will not be accepting work orders. If your work request is of an urgent nature or an emergency, please contact Don on Duty at 289-805-0580.
For reference, emergency work that would be addressed by on call staff would be:
- No Heat
- No Water
- No power
- Security (Access Control)
- Fire (contact 911 immediately)
If you are unsure if your concern is an emergency, please contact the Residence Services Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 905-828-5286 for assistance.
Work orders will be accepted again on Monday, January 2 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Ready to leave for Winter Break?
The end of the fall semester is closely approaching, and we would like to remind you of a couple of things you have to do before you leave residence!
- Remove all perishable food from your unit, including your fridge!
- Take all garbage out before you leave. Your room will smell bad and attract pests if you don't!
- Clean your bedroom and common areas - it is nice to come back to a clean space!
- Submit work orders for anything broken before December 21, 2022
- Close and lock all your windows
- Turn off the heaters in your bedroom and common areas, if no one is staying over the break.
Make sure your immigration documents are up to date (study permit and entry visa/eTA) and you meet the vaccination requirements for re-entry.
Visit the International Education Centre website for additional information on preparing to leave for the winter break.
You can also visit the FAQ on COVID-19 Information for University of Toronto Students.
Residence Services Desk
The Residence Services Desk will be open on a limited basis throughout the Winter Break. Please note that we will not be accepting packages for the duration of the winter break. Winter Break hours are below:
- Dec 22 , 11AM - 4PM
- Dec 23, 11AM - 4PM
- Dec 27 - 30, 11AM - 4PM
Regular hours of operation will resume on January 2, 2023. If you have an issue outside of RSD hours, please contact the Don-on-Duty at (289) 805-0580.
Only residents interested in staying in residence for part or for the entirety of Winter Break have to complete the application by November 11, 2022*.
How to Submit the Winter Break Application
- Beginning October 24, 2022 at 12:00 PM (noon), login to StarRez (residence.utoronto.ca) with your UTORid & Password
- Select Manage My Housing in the top bar
- Select your UTM FALL TERM 2022 booking
- Select Winter Break Application from the drop down menu
- Complete the form by November 11, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
- Application Opens: October 24, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.
- Application Closes: November 11, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
Requests received after Monday, November 11, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. will be subject to a late fee.
- Winter Break Housing: $0 – no additional cost if application is submitted by November 11
- Late submissions between November 12 to December 16: $50
- Late submissions on or after December 16: $150
- Full Stay – December 21, 2022 to January 2, 2023
- Partial Stay – (anytime less than full stay)
- Ex. If you need to extend to stay a few hours/days past December 21 at 9:00 am OR need to return earlier than January 2, 2023 at 9:00 am EST
Other Important Notes
- Upon approval of a Winter Break Application, residents will continue to be subject to the terms outlined in the 2022-2023 Occupancy Agreement.
- During the University closure, no food services, caretaking, maintenance or other services above and beyond emergency services will be provided. Colman Commons will resume operations on January 2, 2023 @ 9:00 AM. No overnight guests or social gatherings are permitted; it is 24-hour quiet period for the duration of the Winter Break