Winter Break Housing
Winter Break Summary
Exams end on December 19. The University is closed from 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 20, 2019 through until 9:00 a.m. on Monday, January 6, 2020. Residents are required to vacate residence by:
- no later than 24 hours after his/her last December exam, OR
- by no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday December 20, 2019 as specified in the University Academic Calendar, whichever comes first.
The Resident is expected to secure alternate accommodation during this period. Residents may return to the premises no earlier than 9:00 a.m. EST on Sunday, January 5, 2020. If you require accommodations during this period, you will be required to apply. See information below.
If you are approved to stay during the Winter Break, please note that during the Winter Break closure, no food services, caretaking, or other services above and beyond emergency services will be provided. No overnight guests or social gatherings are permitted; it is 24-hour quiet period for the duration of the Winter Break.
Residence Services Desk
The Residence Services Desk will be open on a limited basis throughout the Winter Break. Winter Break hours are below:
December 23, 27, 30, 2019 and January 2 & 3, 2020 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- January 5, 2020 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. (midnight)
If you have an issue outside of RSD hours, please contact the Don-on-Duty at (289) 805-0580.
To apply for Winter Break Housing, please log in at https://starportal.utoronto.ca and complete the UTM - Extensions 2019-2020 application
- Application Open: October 28, 2019
- Application Close: November 8, 2019
Requests received after Friday, November 8, 2019 will be subject to a late fee.
Absolutely no late applications will be received after December 18, 2019. No exceptions.
- Entire Winter Break - December 20, 2019 to January 5, 2020
- Students who choose to stay for any amount of time past winter closure will apply for entire winter break - this includes students who wish to only stay for a 48 hour extension or an early move in.
- Accommodations during this period may be made available to residents with extenuating circumstances (e.g. international students, out of province students, etc.).
- Winter break housing requests will be considered and determined by Student Housing & Residence Life in its sole and absolute discretion.
- Students with 4 or more discipline points will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- See below chart for approval criteria.
- Winter Break Housing: $0 – no additional cost to the student
- Late applications submitted between November 8 to December 13: $100
- Late applications submitted between December 13 to December 18: $150
- Cancellations received between November 8 to December 13: $100
- Cancellations received between December 13 to December 18: $150
Other Information to Note
- Upon approval of a Winter Break Application, residents will continue to be subject to the terms outlined in the 2019-2020 Occupancy Agreement.
- During the Winter Break closure, no food services, caretaking, or other services above and beyond emergency services will be provided. No overnight guests or social gatherings are permitted; it is 24-hour quiet period for the duration of the Winter Break
|Extension Request Type|
Significant Travel Time Required
Students whose primary residence or family home is located a significant distance (300+ km) from the UTM campus.
Acceptable forms of documentation:
This request type also applies if, for example, an international student is flying home for the winter break but is coming back a few days early before residence opens.
Student with Difficult or Unstable Home Environment
Documentation not required, though preferred if supported by a professional staff member, such as a Community Development Coordinator or Residence Counsellor.
A student employed on- or off-campus in the Mississauga region.
Acceptable forms of documentation:
General Interest / Other
Determined on a case-by-case basis. Including, but not limited to: