Winter Break Housing
Winter Break 2021 Summary
The University of Toronto exam season and holiday season are approaching, if you are unable to travel at this time you can stay with us at no additional cost* throughout the winter break! Please review the information below regarding winter break accommodation.
ABOUT THE WINTER BREAK
Exams end on December 21. The University is closed from 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, December 22, 2021 until 9:00 a.m. on Monday, January 3, 2022. Residence re-opens at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, January 9, 2022.
Residents are required to vacate residence by:
- no later than 24 hours after their last December exam, OR
- by no later than 9:00 am on Wednesday December 22, 2021 as specified in the University Academic Calendar, whichever comes first.
The Resident is expected to secure alternate accommodation during this period. Residents may return to the premises no earlier than 9:00 a.m. EST on Sunday, January 9, 2022. If you require accommodations during this period, you will be required to submit an application. See information below.
If you are approved to stay during the Winter Break, please note that during the University closure, all on campus food services (i.e. Colman Commons) will be closed, no caretaking or maintenance services will be provided above and beyond emergency services. Please note Colman Commons will resume operations on January 2, 2022. No overnight guests or social gatherings are permitted; it is 24-hour quiet period for the entirety of the Winter Break.
Travelling during the winter break? Make sure your immigration documents are up to date (study permit and entry visa/eTA) and ou meet the vaccination requirements for re-entry!
Work Order Portal Closure: During the Winter Break Closure, Student Housing & Residence Life will have maintenance staff available on an on-call basis only. During this time the work order system will not be accepting work orders. If your work request is of an urgent nature or an emergency, please contact Don on Duty at 289-805-0580.
For reference, emergency work that would be addressed by on call staff would be:
- No Heat
- No Water
- No power
- No Toilet
- Security (Access Control)
- Fire (contact 911 immediately)
If you are unsure if your concern is an emergency, please contact the Residence Services Desk at email@example.com or by phone at 905-828-5286 for assistance.
Work orders will be accepted again on Monday, January 3 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Ready to leave for Winter Break?
The end of the fall semester is closely approaching, and we would like to remind you of a couple of things you have to do before you leave residence!
- Remove all perishable food from your unit, inlcuding your fridge!
- Take all garbage out before you leave. Your room will smell bad and attract pests if you don't!
- Clean your bedroom and common areas - it is nice to come back to a clean space!
- Submit work orders for anything broken before December 22, 2021
- Close and lock all your windows
- Turn off the heaters in your bedroom and common areas, if no one is staying over the break.
Make sure your immigration documents are up to date (study permit and entry visa/eTA) and you meet the vaccination requirements for re-entry.
Visit the International Education Centre website for additional information on preparing to leave for the winter break.
You can also visit the FAQ on COVID-19 Information for University of Toronto Students.
Residence Services Desk
The Residence Services Desk will be open on a limited basis throughout the Winter Break. Please note that we will not be accepting packages for the duration of the winter break. Winter Break hours are below:
December 22, 2021: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
December 23, 2021: 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- December 27-30 2021: 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- January 3-7, 2022: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- January 9, 2022: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm
Regular hours of operation will resume on January 9, 2022. If you have an issue outside of RSD hours, please contact the Don-on-Duty at (289) 805-0580.
Only residents interested in staying in residence for part or for the entirety of Winter Break have to complete the application by November 15, 2021.
How to Submit the Winter Break Application
1. Beginning November 1 2021 at 12:00 PM (noon), login to StarRez (residence.utoronto.ca) with your UTORid & Password
2. Select Manage My Housing in the top bar
3. Select your UTM FALL TERM 2021 booking
4. Select Winter Break Application from the drop down menu
5. Complete the form by November 15, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
- Application Opens: November 1, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
- Application Closes: November 15, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Requests received after Monday, November 15, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. will be subject to a late fee.
- Winter Break Housing: $0 – no additional cost if application is submitted by November 15
- Late submissions between November 16 to December 20: $50
- Late submissions on or after December 21: $150
- Full Stay – December 22, 2021 to January 9, 2022
- Partial Stay – (anytime less than full stay)
- Ex. If you need to extend to stay a few hours/days past December 22 at 9:00 am OR need to return earlier than January 9, 2022 at 9:00 am EST
Other Important Notes
- Upon approval of a Winter Break Application, residents will continue to be subject to the terms outlined in the 2021-2022 Occupancy Agreement.
- During the University closure, no food services, caretaking, maintenance or other services above and beyond emergency services will be provided. Colman Commons will resume operations on January 2, 2022. No overnight guests or social gatherings are permitted; it is 24-hour quiet period for the duration of the Winter Break
- If you are not fully vaccinated and will be arriving from an international destination you will be required to complete a 14-day quarantine as per guidelines from the Government of Canada
Need to Quarantine?
- If you are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated and choose to travel internationally, you will be required to complete a 14-day quarantine upon your return to Canada. The University will cover the costs of the U of T 14-day mandatory quarantine accommodation if you have not previously completed a required quarantine in the UofT program. However, if you are required to quarantine again at a later date (e.g. if you leave and return to Canada), you will be required to cover the cost of the additional quarantine(s). Information regarding quarantine can be found here: https://www.viceprovoststudents.utoronto.ca/covid-19/#Quarantine