Winter Break Housing
More information to come regarding the 2021 Winter Break this month! Please read below for information on the 2020 Winter Break.
Winter Break Summary
The University of Toronto exam season and holiday season are approaching and we encourage students to stay with us at no additional cost* through the winter break! We are dedicated to make your winter break safe, fun, supportive and filled with opportunities to connect with others. Please review the information below regarding your winter break options.
ABOUT THE WINTER BREAK
Exams end on December 22. The University is closed from 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, December 23, 2020 through until 9:00 a.m. on Monday, January 4, 2021. Residence re-opens at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, January 3, 2021.
ALL residents are required to give the department of Student Housing & Residence Life notice about their plans for the winter break! See Winter Break Intention Form.
We recognize it can be hard for students to be away from family during the holidays and we are eagerly preparing daily programming & supports for students. More information on what daily events and programs we will be hosting will be released at a later date. Please note that during the winter break, students will not have access to their space if they choose to leave. Please see below for details on options.
Additionally, all on campus food services (ie Colman Commons etc.) will be closed, the University will be closed and there will be no caretaking or maintenance services above and beyond emergency services. Overnight guests and social gatherings are not permitted and it will be a 24-hour quiet period.
Winter Break Intention Form
ALL residents must complete the Winter Break Intention Form to inform Student Housing & Residence Life of their plans during the winter break by November 27, 2020.
How to Submit the Winter Break Intention Form
1. Login to StarRez with your UTORid & Password
2. Select Manage My Housing in the top bar
3. Select your UTM FALL TERM 2020 booking
4. Select Winter Break Intention Form from the drop down menu
5. Complete the form by November 27, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
- Winter Break Intention Form Open: November 6, 2020
- Winter Break Intention Form Deadline: November 27, 2020
- Winter Break Housing: $0 – no additional cost if you submit by November 27
- Late submissions or changes between November 28 to December 21: $50
- Late submissions or changes between December 22 to December 23: $150
Options for Winter Break
- Option 1: Full Stay (December 23 - January 10)
- Option 2: Partial Stay (anytime less than full break)
- Ex. If you need to extend to stay a few days past December 23 OR need to return earlier than January 10
- Option 3: Leaving but Staying in Canada
- Option 4: Leaving but Travelling Internationally
- If you choose to travel internationally, you are required to complete a 14-day quarantine upon your return to Canada. See below for more information.
Other Important Notes
- If you are leaving and travelling within Canada OR internationally, but are leaving later than December 23 or returning before January 10, please select option 2.
- Any student who chooses Option 3 or 4, will be required to leave anytime before December 23, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. and can return anytime after January 10, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
- Residents who stay for any amount of time over the winter break will continue to be subject to the terms outlined in the 2020-2021 Occupancy Agreement.
Need to Quarantine?
- If you choose to travel internationally, you will be required to complete a 14-day quarantine upon your return to Canada. The University will cover the costs of the U of T 14-day mandatory quarantine accommodation if you have not previously completed a required quarantine in the UofT program. However, if you are required to quarantine again at a later date (e.g. if you leave and return to Canada), you will be required to cover the cost of the additional quarantine(s). Information regarding quarantine can be found here: https://www.viceprovoststudents.utoronto.ca/covid-19/#Quarantine
Residence Services Desk
The Residence Services Desk will be open on a limited basis throughout the Winter Break. Please note that we will not be accepting packages for the duration of the winter break. Winter Break hours are below:
December 23, 2020: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. (midnight)
December 24 - December 26, 2020: CLOSED
December 27 - December 30, 2020: 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
December 31, 2020 - January 1, 2021: CLOSED
January 2, 2021: 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
January 3 - 9, 2021: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- January 10, 2021: 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Regular hours of operation will resume on January 11, 2021. If you have an issue outside of RSD hours, please contact the Don-on-Duty at (289) 805-0580.