Maintenance FAQs



These are commonly asked questions about work orders. If you have any questions that have not been answered here, please feel free to email us at

Why hasn’t my work order been completed yet?

Work orders are completed in priority sequence and while we strive to address all work orders within 48 business hours there are situations that arise that may delay the completion of your work order. During peak times of the year (September, October and April) or in cases where we need to call in an external contractor there may be delays in completing your work order.  If your work order has not yet been addressed DO NOT submit a work order for the same issue as this will further delay the process.

Why did I receive an email saying my work order was completed when the work hasn’t been completed?

It’s important to read the comments found in the email that you received as they will indicate why the work was completed, delayed or not completed. There are a number of reasons why the work may not have been completed including but not limited to:

  • You requested a service that we do not provide
  • The work order was not specific enough
  • Another work order was already placed by your roommate for the same issue
  • Our Staff could not find any issue
  • You placed multiple requests in the same work order
  • The work order was submitted under the wrong unit

Can my Don submit a work order for me?

Unless it’s an emergency situation we require that all students submit their own work orders. Receiving work orders directly from you allows us to gather more accurate and complete information about the problem. This also allows us to communicate directly with you when the work is completed, delayed or could not be completed.


Can I submit a work order for an issue in my roommate’s room?

No. You can only submit work orders for your own bedroom or common spaces within your suite or building. We require permission from the student living in a bedroom prior to us entering that space.


Can I repair damaged items myself?

No. All repairs in Residence will need to be completed by our Maintenance staff or one of our authorized agents or contractors. This allows us to ensure that a repair has been completed safely, properly and in accordance with local building codes and/or university standards.


How can I request my bed height be adjusted?

Unfortunately not all of the beds in Residence are adjustable but if your bed is the type that can be adjusted (found mostly in Oscar Peterson Hall) you will need to be very specific with the height you would like in your work order. Any work orders that are not specific will be closed. For example: Please raise my bed higher by two pegs.


Who do I contact if the washer/dryer in my laundry room is broken?

All washers and dryers are owned and serviced by Coin-a-matic. If you experience any problems with these machines you will need to contact the company directly by calling (905) 755-1972. You will need the building information and which machine is broken.


Who do I contact if there is a problem with the Wireless or my Network port?

All equipment for the wired or wireless networks is maintained by the Information & Instructional Technology Services department. They can be contacted at (905) 828-5344 or by filling out an online work ticket at


Common Maintenance Tips & Tricks


Heat & A/C

It's important to understand how your thermostat and heating/cooling system work in your area. In buildings (OPH, Roy Ivor & Erindale Hall), heat and air are turned on/off for the entire building and are changed over dependent on weather. The change over will happen in around October and May. However, please keep in mind that the highest your thermostat should be set is 25 C and the lowest your thermostat should be set is 18 C.

Townhouse areas do not have A/C, but baseboard heating. Turn the dial clockwise to turn on and counter clockwise to turn off. Please note that baseboard heaters can take 3-4 hours to cool down once turned off.

Clogged Toilets

The only thing that should be flushed down a toilet is human waste and toilet paper. Items such as make up wipes, baby wipes, feminine hygiene products, trash etc. should NOT be flushed down the toilet as it can clog the system and cause overflowing. 
If your toilet is clogged, the water will rise instead of flowing down into the system. Do NOT continue to flush if your toilet is clogged. All bathrooms have been provided with a plunger and that can be used to unclog your toilet. If this doesn't work, please submit a work order.

Clogged Sinks

Food should not be put down a kitchen sink. If your kitchen sink is clogged due to food, plungers can be used to help unclog sinks. All bathrooms have been provided with a plunger. If this doesn't work, please submit a work order.


Fruit Flies, Insects, Rodents

As the university is located in a wooded area, we are more susceptible to insects & rodents, especially in the winter months. It is important to ensure that you keep your unit clean and free of garbage/old food to help in the prevention of unwanted insects/rodents. Leaving garbage in  your unit will cause fruit flies and attract insects/rodents. Please ensure you dispose of your garbage in the appropriate receptacles regularly.

Loss of Power in Outlets

Overloading power outlets with multiple devices and/or extension cords can blow the breaker resulting in a loss of power. It is always recommended that you use a power bar that has a surge protector and that you do not overload your outlets with multiple devices or 1-2 devices that take a lot of power. For example, hair dryers and other hair devices should not be used at the same time on the same power bar and can result in the outlet being overloaded. Please be mindful of your roommates usage as well.