2023 NSERC USRA
Undergraduate Student Research Award
The University of Toronto Mississauga 2023 NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award applications are underway.
UTM Psychology Application Deadline: March 20, 2023
PURPOSE OF AWARD
Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRAs) are meant to nurture interest and fully develop potential for a research career in health, natural sciences, engineering, social sciences or humanities. These awards are also meant to encourage future graduate studies by providing research work experience that complements studies in an academic setting.
$6.000.00 plus a minimum 25% supplement ($1,500.00) provided by the department
DURATION OF AWARD
16 full consecutive weeks
University of Toronto Mississauga administers this program in the summer months only, between May 1st and September 30th.
- No provisions for sick leave, vacation or other interruptions of awards. Should a work term be terminated early, NSERC must be informed immediately through the Office of Research Services.
- Awards may NOT be deferred. All efforts must be made to give awards to students who can complete or commit to a 16 week work term.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Registered either full-time or part-time (at the time of application) in a bachelor's degree program in at least one of the two terms immediately before holding the award. NSERC, however, expects that full-time students will hold most awards.
- Self-identifying Indigenous and Black students are funded above and beyond this allocation by NSERC (provided the application is approved by the Agency).
- Must have obtained, over previous years of study, a cumulative average of at least second class (a grade of B or B‐) CGPA of 2.7 to 3.0
- Must have completed, at least time of application, a minimum of two academic terms. (1st year students are ineligible)
- Graduating students, in the term immediately following the completion of their undergraduate program requirements, as long as they have not started a program of graduate studies.
- Be engaged on a full‐time basis in research and development activities in the natural sciences or engineering during the award tenure.
- MUST find an eligible supervisor
- We ask that all supervisors and candidates complete the 2023 UTEA Application Form. This is a simplified form that we will use for departmental ranking purposes. Email completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Indigenous, Black, and next two highest eligible NSERC URSA nominees (and their supervisors) will be asked to complete applications on NSERC’s online system.
Note: All applicants are responsible to find an eligible supervisor willing to support their application
Should you have any questions pertaining to the application process, contact email@example.com.