Understand the difference between Basic & Flex Dollars
Think about it like this...
What is considered Flex?
- A snack (chocolate bars, chips, etc.)
- A dessert (cake, cookies, donut, etc.)
- A beverage on its own (pop, coffee, Perrier, etc.)
So when you eliminate those Flex items, it leaves you with entrées. Entrées are Basic. And when you purchase a Basic entrée, you can add on Flex items, and they will all qualify as Basic, as it completes a "meal".
- Muffin (can traditionally be a breakfast entrée)
- Salad (traditionally an entrée)
- Pasta (traditionally an entrée)
- Burger (traditionally an entrée)
- Hot made-to-order dish (traditionally an entrée)
NOW add on a beverage and/or a snack and/or a dessert, and it is all BASIC.
- In each transaction you may have an unlimited number of entrées (all Basic)
- However, in each transaction with at least 1 entrée, in order to keep this a Basic transaction, you may only add up to 2 Flex items (1 x beverage + 1 x side)
- E.g.: if you add 2 beverages: 1 beverage will be charged under Basic and the second beverage will be charged as Flex
- E.g.: if you add 2 sides: 1 side will be charged under Basic and the second side will be charged as Flex
- E.g.: if you add 1 beverage and 3 sides: the 1 beverage & 1 side will be covered under Basic, but the remaining 2 sides will be charged as Flex
Note: that this only applies to Aramark food service outlets; excludes Blind Duck, Chatime, off-campus partners, vending machines, & food trucks
“Basic” funds are the tax-exempt portion of your Student Meal Plan.
Any purchase of a meal on campus (with the exception of meals from the Blind Duck, Chatime, Duck Stop, food trucks, and most vending machines) qualifies as a Basic purchase
“Flex” funds can be used to purchase all items that don't qualify as a Basic-eligible meal.
You can use your Flex funds for:
- Snack items
- Convenience items
- Grocery items
- Vending machines with card readers
- The Blind Duck (in the Student Centre)
- Chatime (in the Student Centre)
- The Duck Stop (in the Student Centre)
- Participating food trucks on campus
Questions? Contact us!
William G. Davis building, Suite 3127
Making experiences, exceptional