The internship is a half course (CCT410, WRI410) which requires you to complete 100 hours of UNPAID work. You are also responsible for attending class seminars, completing course assignments such as writing critical incident reports, and giving an oral presentation. YOU MUST meet the minimum prerequisites. CCT410 & WRI410 require a minimum 2.5 CGPA and 13 credits.
Almost anywhere! Check the bulletin board outside CC3028, the class Quercus site, Mediajobsearchcanada (www.mediajobsearchcanada.com) to see a listing of small and mid-sized companies, talentegg.ca, and the UTM Career Centre. Ask - Friends, family, neighbours, teammates, people at weddings, ICCIT events. Introduce yourself, talk about your program, the internship opportunity and NETWORK!!!!!
What do I need to know before I start my search?
YOUR STRENGTHS!!! Assess what you can do and where you want to go. Visit the Career Centre and sign up for a resume critique. You also need to know what you want to do and what you want to learn from a work placement. You need to tell your prospective internship supervisor how you will fit into their organization.
How do I contact someone?
- Start your research early at least 3 months in advance!
- Do your homework. Find an individual within the company/organization to contact by phone directly. For example, you might have to ask for the director of the department in which you would like to work through a General Inquiry phone number. Make sure you ask the director’s name before you are transferred. DO NOT go to HR to start. DO NOT send out your resume without contacting the individual first. They need to know who you are and why you are contacting them.
- Create a cold call script of what you want to say. Introduce yourself and tell the person you contact the reasons why you want to do an internship at their organization specifically.
- Always call and talk to someone in the department/ organization before sending your resume.
- Practice, practice, PRACTICE your business introduction!
When? DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE!!!!!
You need to start early and confirm your placement at least three weeks before the start of classes. You will be responsible for some of the paper work; however, your placement supervisor will also need to sign an agreement with UTM.
Contact me for an appointment if you still have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org