You are expected to work on assignments and prepare for tests in advance to successfully meet your academic and extra-curricular responsibilities. Sometimes, circumstances happen beyond your control. In ICCIT, you can submit a SCR if you miss a term test, quiz or need an assignment extension in your CCT or MGD course(s) to support you during these times.
Students in CCT109H5, CCT110H5, CCT111H5, CCT112H5 and CCT208H5 should always follow the SCR process outlined below. Students in other classes should follow the process below only if they are seeking accommodation for tests or assignments worth 15% or more of the final grade. Students in other classes seeking accommodation for tests or assignments worth less than 15% should contact their instructors directly.
Reasons for special consideration could include:
- Emergency procedure
- University-sponsored athletics/competitions
- Compulsory legal duties e.g. (jury duty)
- Religious accommodations
- Disability accommodations
Reasons for special consideration do not include*:
- Pre-planned vacations or social commitments
- Transportation delays
- Technology malfunctions
- Time management, course loads
- Course conflicts, team work conflicts
- Misreading a deadline/timetable
- Late course enrolment
- Scheduled elective medical appointments
* For these situations, refer to your course syllabus and speak directly with your instructor.
You have three days or 72 hours (including weekends) from the assignment deadline or date of the missed test/quiz to complete the SCR process in full. An online request must be completed for each assignment, test or quiz.
The first time in the semester that you are seeking accommodation, please complete the following steps:
1. Login to ACORN, and click on Profile & Settings from the left-hand menu.
2.Click on Absence Declaration.
3. Record each day that you are absent – as soon as it begins up until the day you return to campus for classes or other activities.
4. Login to the SCR system and complete the required steps. Documentation is not required.
For all subsequent times that you require an accommodation, you should only login to the SCR system and complete the required steps. Documentation is not required, however, it may be requested after the SCR has been reviewed.
Expect a decision by email within 48-72 hours if you have followed the procedure. The email will give you important information about whether your request is approved, denied or pending, and instructions on next steps. Your instructor will be copied on the message (the message does not include your medical/personal information).
Important reminders and Notes
It is your responsibility as a student to:
- Hand in assignments as soon as possible after the due date (even if you have not received a SCR decision), and follow up with your instructor as soon as possible for make-up test instructions if your SCR is approved
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not received a response about your SCR in 48-72 hours
- Monitor your UTOR email (@mail.utoronto.ca) or it could result in delays
For missed tests/quizzes, do not assume that you will write a make-up test – this is at the discretion of your instructor. Please review your course syllabus for details. Make-up tests cannot be deferred unless you have another class at the same time. Missing a make-up test will result in a grade of zero.
For assignment extensions, do not assume that you will get the extension that you requested. Continue to work on your assignment and hand it in as soon as possible – do not wait for a SCR decision. Extensions can range from 24 hours to one week. For example:
If your assignment is due on a Thursday, and you complete the SCR process on Saturday morning, on Monday afternoon, you might get an email approving a 4-day extension, confirming that the deadline is on Monday night at 11:59 pm, four days from the original deadline. Extension decisions are not based on when we review your documentation, but from the original due date.
Students with disabilities/ health conditions
Students with disabilities are encouraged to register with accessibility services at both UTM and Sheridan College. If you are experiencing health conditions (even temporarily) that are repeatedly affecting your school work, consider setting up a meeting with an accessibility advisor:
· If you are registered with AccessAbility at UTM and/or Accessible Learning Services at Sheridan, and the reason for missing a test or a deadline pertains to a disability, you are still required to submit an SCR at the link above (see Step 1). In such cases, the department will accept documentation supplied by the UTM AccessAbility Resource Centre. If you require further accommodations, please speak with your accessibility services advisor
- UTM AccessAbility: email@example.com, (905) 569-4699
- Sheridan (Trafalgar) Accessible Learning Services: firstname.lastname@example.org, (905) 845-9430 Ext.8196
Our role as a department is to help manage SCRs to protect your confidential health/personal information and to provide a consistent process for all students in ICCIT. We can also make appropriate referrals and provide advice. If you have any questions about this policy, please email email@example.com.