The TA Rationale system establishes a ratio of TA hours per student based on the specific TA duties required in the course including contact hours, preparation, marking, etc.
Teaching assistant (TA) funding for courses is received through request and approval of a TA Rationale Form. Units with new or updated courses approved through the curriculum process that require TA support will submit a TA Rationale Form according to the process and timeline shown below.
The Department Manager or Business Officer in each unit is the main contact for submission of TA Rationale Forms.
Submission Process for Unit:
- Select the applicable form:
- Lecture-only Course _TA Rationale Form: for courses delivered in a lecture only format (e.g. 24L, or 36L, or 48L)
- Lecture with TUT / PRA_TA Rationale Form: for courses delivered as lectures WITH accompanying tutorial or practical sections; OR courses delivered with PRA as their primary delivery method (e.g. 24L/12T, or 24L/12P/10T, or 36P)
2. Complete the forms in consultation with the course instructor, Chair/Director and/or Associate
3. Submit the completed form to email@example.com by November 30th
All new or updated courses must have an approved TA Rationale Form to receive funding. However, this process is only necessary for courses requiring TA resources and funding. If the planned course offering does not require TA support, or if the course cap does not meet your unit’s minimum threshold for funding, then there is no need to submit a TA Rationale Form.
Please contact the Ferzeen Sammy, Senior Project Specialist: Academic Planning and Policy at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about how to complete the form, or need clarification on any aspect of the process.