Teaching assistant (TA) resources for courses are received through request and approval of a TA Rationale Form. The TA Rationale system establishes the enrolment-driven ratio of TA hours allocated to a course based on the specific TA duties for the course including contact hours, preparation, marking, etc.
Units will submit a TA Rationale Form for new or updated courses (approved through the curriculum process) that require TA resources according to the process and timeline shown here. The Department Manager or Business Officer in each unit is the main contact for submission of TA Rationale Forms.
For general questions about TA resources, funding, or other inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic units will complete a TA Rationale Form for a course in consultation with the course instructor, Chair/Director and/or Associate Chair/Director/Program Director. Units will send completed forms to email@example.com by November 30th for courses offered in the next academic year.
NOTE: If your unit is submitting a large number of Rationale Forms, please contact us.
When is a TA Rationale Form needed?
- New courses that require TA resources. New courses must have an approved TA Rationale Form to receive TA funding.
- Existing courses undergoing a curriculum change that impacts TA resources (e.g. addition/removal of TUT/PRA hours).
Note: if a course only has a slight change to the contact hours (i.e. net change of 1-2 TUT/PRA hours), then an email notice can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to request an update of the approved Rationale on file, in lieu of submitting a revised TA Rationale Form.
When is a TA Rationale Form not needed?
- New courses that do not require TA support (e.g. seminar course).
- Existing courses undergoing a curriculum change that does not impact TA resources (e.g. change in title, description, change in Lecture hours only, or change from TUT to PRA contact hours).
- Courses which already have an approved TA Rationale on file.
- Courses with enrolment below threshold for TA resources.
(select the applicable form based on contact hours):
- Lecture-only Course _TA Rationale Form: for courses with only Lecture contact hours (e.g. 24L, or 36L, or 48L)
- Lecture with TUT / PRA_TA Rationale Form: for courses delivered as lectures with tutorial or practical sections (e.g. 24L/12T, or 24L/24P, or 24L/12T/24P)
- For courses delivered with PRA as their primary delivery method (e.g, 36P), please contact us.
- For field courses with significant PRA contact hours, please contact us.
Questions about submission process: if you have any questions about how to complete the form, please contact Sara da Silva, Assistant Director, Academic Planning, Policy and Projects at email@example.com.
TA Resources contact: for general questions about TA resources, funding, or other inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.