Dushyantkumar Vyas is an Associate Professor of Accounting, and Associate Chair of Faculty & Research in the Department of Management at the University of Toronto Mississauga, with a cross-appointment to the Accounting area at Rotman. Dushyant has a Ph.D. in accounting from University of Toronto and a Masters in Finance from Queen’s University. He was most recently employed as an Assistant Professor in accounting at the Carlson School of Management at University of Minnesota.
Dushyant’s research focuses on accounting for financial institutions, accounting issues pertaining to the recent financial crisis, private company accounting, information intermediaries, and international issues in finance and accounting. His research has been published in the Journal of Accounting Research, Review of Accounting Studies, The Accounting Review, Journal of International Business Studies and Contemporary Accounting Research, and has been featured in popular press outlets such as The Globe and Mail, The Economist, Financial Times, The Times (London), and Hindustan Times. Dushyant has presented his research at various international conferences and has been invited to speak as a panelist at recent events focusing on financial reporting by banks during the recent financial crisis.
- “The Cost of Pride: Why do Firms from Developing Countries Bid More?” with Ole-Kristian Hope and Wayne Thomas, Journal of International Business Studies 42(1), 2011.
- “The Timeliness of Accounting Write-downs by U.S. Financial Institutions during the Financial Crisis of 2007-2008” Journal of Accounting Research 49(3), June 2011.
- “Financial Credibility, Ownership, and Financing Constraints in Private Firms.” with Ole-Kristian Hope and Wayne Thomas, Journal of International Business Studies 42(7), 2011.
- “Financial Reporting Quality in U.S. Private and Public Firms.” with Ole-Kristian Hope and Wayne Thomas. The Accounting Review 88(5), 2013.
- “Debt Analysts’ View of Debt-Equity Conflicts of Interests.” with Gus De Franco, Florin Vasvari and Regina Wittenberg-Moerman. The Accounting Review 89(4), 2014
- “Risk-relevance of Securitizations during the Recent Financial Crisis.” with Yiwei Dou, Yanju Liu, and Gordon Richardson. Review of Accounting Studies 19(2), 2014.
- “The Impact of SOX on the Exit Strategies of Private Firms.” with Francesco Bova, Miguel Minutti, and Gordon Richardson. Contemporary Accounting Research 31(3), 2014
- “Analyst Report Readability.” with Gus De Franco, Ole-Kristian Hope and Yibin Zhou. Contemporary Accounting Research 32(1), 2015.
- “The Capital Purchase Program and Subsequent Bank SEOs.” with Mozaffar Khan. Journal of Financial Stability 18, 2015.
- “Fundamental analysis of banks: the use of financial statement information to screen winners from losers.” with Partha Mohanram and Sasan Saiy. Review of Accounting Studies 23(1), 2018.
- “Stakeholder Demand for Accounting Quality and Economic Usefulness of Accounting in U.S. Private Firms.” with Ole-Kristian Hope and Wayne Thomas. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 36 (1), 2017.
- “Private Company Finance and Financial Reporting.” with Ole-Kristian Hope. Accounting & Business Research 47(5), 2017.
- “Is Operational Control Risk Informative of Financial Reporting Deficiencies.” with Alastair Lawrence and Miguel Minutti-Meza. Auditing – Journal of Practice and Theory 37(1): 139-165, 2018.
- “Active CDS Trading and Manager’s Voluntary Disclosures.” with Jae B. Kim, Pervin Shroff, and Regina Wittenberg-Moerman. Forthcoming, Journal of Accounting Research 56(3), 2018.
- “The Implications of Banks’ Credit Risk Modeling for Their Loan Loss Provision Timeliness and Loan Origination Procyclicality.” with Gauri Bhat and Stephen G. Ryan. Management Science 65(5), 2019.
- “Similarity in Restrictiveness of Bond Covenants.” with Gus De Franco, Florin Vasvari and Regina Wittenberg-Moerman. European Accounting Review 29(4): 665-691.
- “Have SFAS 166 and 167 improved the Accounting for Securitizations.” With Gordon Richardson, Minkwan Ahn, Zahn Bozanic, Sam Bonsall, and Yiwei Dou. Journal of Business, Finance, and Accounting 47(7-8): 665-691.
- “Government Procurement and Financial Statements Certification: Evidence from Private Firms in Emerging Economies.” With Shushu Jiang and Ole-Kristian Hope. Journal of International Business Studies Nov, 2020.