The Professional Development & Learning Centre (PDLC) is the nexus between students, employers, alumni and community partners who add value to UTMM’s professional offerings. The PDLC is a place for collaboration and learning, with a leading focus on experiential development and overall student success.
Pinpoint and recruit brilliant new talent through advertising posts, interviews and the MGT 480 internship course. Raise the awareness of your company during panel discussions, information sessions, class talks and company tours.
PDLC coordinates workshops, events and info/networking sessions with students, on-campus or at your workplace. Ask how PDLC can help, here.
It wasn’t long ago when you were in their shoes. UTMM students would love to hear and learn from you. Here are just a few of the ways you can get involved:
- Participate on any of the alumni panels to share your journey and experience — students want to hear it
- Join a Coffee Chat on campus to meet and mentor current students
- Hire a Commerce or Management student and provide valuable work experience to a young professional — more than giving back, you may find your next rising star!
PDLC coordinates workshops, events and info/networking sessions with students, on-campus or at your workplace. Re-connect with the PDLC team here.
Management and Commerce Students
Find the vital information and assistance you need for maximizing career options and personal development experiences, including:
- Assistance composing your résumé and cover letters
- Interview preparation with mock interviews. Practice thinking on your feet in a low-pressure environment
- Being referred to appropriate career-related resources both on and off campus
- Assistance with job/event readiness skills
- Career development programs and events that meet you at your level
- Grow as you learn. Network, explore and map out your business career, course by course. Tap into rich the experiences of a deep Alumni Network that’s engaged across most industries and sectors
Connect with the PDLC team here.
10 Minutes with PDLC: The Relationship Manager
Meet Meghan Tamane. As your PDLC Relationship Manager, Meghan is someone you should get to know well during your years at UTMM. Here’s what she shared about how PDLC works...
PDLC is open to all in-program students but its one-on-one career service is specially targeted to UTMM students, helping you become well rounded beyond your GPA, with:
- Mock interviews
- Résumé and cover letter critique
- Career advice and counselling
- Professional development and training advice
- Advertised job opportunities.
PDLC has employment and skills development just for business students.
PDLC offers accounting, finance, and management students industry-specific events, preparing you for the working world, often set up through alumni who studied at UTMM. In partnership with UTMM's student business society, IMI Business Association (IBA), PDLC helps coordinate and facilitate employer events, information sessions, host on-campus and virtual employer interviews and coordinate MGT480 Internships (an unpaid, 100+ hour part-time internship during the winter term).
Every year PDLC also advertises summer and full-time opportunities for students and recent grads. The team here has done the leg work and already reached out to employers to bring you the opportunities that get you placed faster, smarter. Plug directly into your industry whether that’s through an internship, networking … or even a job. You’re not simply placed. We create a competitive process.
Start early on your career development with more industry touch points — from the moment you’re accepted at UTMM. You can book appointments through the career portal, and register for events through PDLC or PSDP.