We offer many different opportunities for experiential learning, including UTM Abroad, Summer Abroad in Siena, the Italian Play, field trips, and more!
UTM Abroad - Cucina Italiana
Travel to ITALY with ITA235 this fall!
Travel to Italy this fall! On this all-inclusive, interactive trip through Rome, Bologna, and Florence, you will cook, eat, and learn about the history and cultural traditions of Italian food. Spend 8 amazing days traveling through Italy savoring its world-renowned dishes, alongside your classmates and Professor Teresa Lobalsamo.
- Experience, first-hand, the rich history of Italian food.
- Engage in an active learning environment that will be educational, practical, and unforgettable.
- Add international experience to your resume.
Applications are closed.
Want to Learn More?
Students apply in-class learning to real-world settings when they embark on several local and/or international field trips - e.g. secret food tours, tours of film studios and fashion houses - offered in various Italian Studies courses, such as ITA233H5 Italian Culture through Fashion, ITA235H5 Italian Culture through Food, ITA242H5 Italian Award-Winners, Box-Office Hits.
Past placements have included:
- Italian Chambers of Commerce of Ontario
- Italian Contemporary Film Festival
- Villa Forum Long Term Residence
- Aurora Importing and Distributing
- Peel District School Board
- Toronto District School Board
- Print and Online Media
Collaborative Research Project
- ITA235H5 Italian Culture through Food: Italian-Canadian FOODWAYS Project
Research Opportunity Project (ROP) Courses
Enrolment in ROPs are limited and require faculty/departmental approval. For more information on available ROPs in Italian or other disciplines, please visit the Experiential Education Unit website.
- ITA499H5 F (Fall 2023): Mapping Italian-Canadian FOODWAYS (Supervisor: Prof. Teresa Lobalsamo)
- ITA399Y5: Italian Sociolinguistics in Toronto (Supervisor: Prof. Simone Casini)
Bursaries may be available for students enrolled in an ROP.
Student Group Involvement
The University of Toronto Mississauga Italian Student Association (UTM ISA) organizes several events throughout the year during which students come together with peers to, for example, practice Italian in informal settings, watch films, interact with other student groups—at UTM and on other campuses.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Italian-Canadian Foodways Volunteer Partnership Coordinator/Research Assistant (apply on CLNX by August 23, 2023, Job ID: 226094)