Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Select the category your question falls under:

If you have questions regarding COVID-19, visit COVID-19 FAQ.


Academic Integrity

You can visit the UTM Academic Integrity Unit website for more information.

Missed Tests and Assignments

Please review the course syllabus (available on Quercus and/or Timetable Builder). Please also visit the Special Consideration page for further information.


Do not email the instructor of the course or the Department Chair.

The department sets the prerequisite requirements to ensure that the students enrolled possess the necessary background knowledge essential for the course. If students do not have the prerequisites for a course, they must submit a Prerequisite Waiver Request Form prior to the first week of classes, explaining how their prior academic experience has prepared them to take the course in the absence of the listed prerequisites.

Blocked Enrolment

Enrolment may be blocked due to enrolment controls (check the "Enrolment Controls" for the course on Timetable Builder). For example, priority may be given to students who require the course (e.g., LIN228H5F) to fulfill program requirements; non-program students can enroll in the course at a later date.

Departmental Approval

Department approval is required.

Students enrolling in a UTM language course for the first time must complete a language assessment questionnaire in order to determine the appropriate language-level course. 

Course Contact

Your instructor’s contact information should be found on the course syllabus (available on Quercus and/or Timetable Builder). Our instructors' contact information is also listed under "Faculty and Staff" on our website.

Course Selection

Please visit the Academic Calendar for more information about program requirements.

Please also visit the relevant section of our department website.

If you still have questions, feel free to contact us for academic advising.

Students should consult with the appropriate Program Coordinator or contact us before enrolling in any UTSG/UTSC courses to inquire whether these courses may be counted towards fulfilment of UTM program requirements.

If you are enrolling in a UTM French course for the first time, you must complete an online French Placement Test, regardless of any prior experience with French, to determine your appropriate language level in French. Failure to complete the test may result in removal from your FSL/FRE course.

Before enrolling in a language course for the first time, please complete the relevant Language Course Assessment Questionnaire to determine your language level.

Academic Advising

We're happy to assist you. Please visit the Contact Us page to book an appointment.

We encourage students to review our program plans. In addition, students can also get detailed information under the UTM Career Centre's "Careers by Major". The Career Centre also offers additional resources

Prospective Language Students

Language Assessment/Placement results are not petitionable. Decisions are final.