Checklist - Before You Begin

Download PDF File


1. Immigration/Work Permit

It is the Postdoc's responsibility to obtain the required valid legal documentation for Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). You may apply online:

All international postdocs training in Canada require a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) work permit and usually must apply for a work permit prior to arriving. This requirement applies to postdocs who were previously students at U of T, but have not been granted permanent residency (PR) status. If an international student wants to work in Canada after graduating, he or she must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, even if the student permit is still valid. 

For all other international postdocs: Depending on your country of citizenship, you may be required to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) and your work permit before leaving your home country. Visit for more information.

2. Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

It is mandatory that you apply for a Social Insurance Number upon your arrival in Canada. Without this, we will not be able to process your salary and benefits. The SIN is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian Government programs. You will require a SIN to work in Canada or to receive government benefits.

Upon your arrival from another country, you should immediately apply for your Social Insurance Number at any Service Canada Office (visit for locations).

  • Please take with you: 1) your passport, 2) your work permit, and 3) your letter of offer (the documents must be originals).
  • For additional information and an application form, please visit the following website:
  • Once you receive proof of your SIN, you must submit the information to your Department.

3. Apply for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

The Provincial Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) provides for treatment and care in Ontario hospitals, standard ward accommodation, and doctor visits. An Ontario health premium cost is part of the calculation of your income tax withheld in each monthly pay.

On your arrival from another country or province, you must immediately apply for OHIP at the nearest office. If you are a Canadian citizen, there will be a 3 month waiting period from the date of your work permit (non-resident) or from the date you applied for OHIP.

You will need to purchase the University Health Insurance Program to cover you and your family during the 3 month waiting period (see below).

  • For detailed information about OHIP eligibility, including the enrollment of family members, telephone the Ministry Info line at: 416-314-5518, or visit
  • On your arrival at the OHIP office, you will need to provide one document from each of the following lists:

1. Examples of Proof of Citizenship/Eligible Status:

  • Documentation (e.g. your Postdoc letter of appointment) confirming employment status in Ontario
  • Work Permit
  • Birth certificate from a Canadian province, OR Valid Canadian passport

2. Examples of Proof of Residency:

  • Lease agreement, OR utility bill, OR housing insurance policy
  • Ontario driver’s license, OR Monthly mailed bank account statements

3. Examples of Support of Identity:

  • Passport, OR
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship, OR
  • Credit card

4. Apply for University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for all international non-residents studying or working at one of the participating universities in Ontario. UHIP provides members and their eligible dependents basic medical coverage similar to what Ontario permanent residents receive under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

As a non-permanent resident studying or working at a participating Ontario university, UHIP is mandatory as it protects you and your dependents against significant medical expenses in case of illness or injury.

While you serve the 3 month waiting period for OHIP, it is mandatory that you apply for UHIP. This is a program comparable to OHIP for you and your dependents. For complete details of this health plan, please refer to the website at:

The cost for UHIP can be found here: Fees are payable to the University by a money order or certified cheque.

5. Banking

The University of Toronto Mississauga will only provide compensation via direct deposit to a Canadian bank account. In order to open an account, you will need to bring at least two (2) pieces of identification:

  • Passport
  • Work permit
  • Letter of offer
  • Proof of residency
  • An identification card showing your signature

Once you have opened up a bank account you must provide your banking information to the UTM Human Resources Office (see more information below).

6. Getting Paid

Meet with the UTM Human Resources Office to discuss:

  • In order to receive your monthly salary, you should provide a copy of your Work Permit (if applicable) to the UTM Human Resources Office upon your arrival on campus.
  • Under Revenue Canada regulations, you are required to provide to provide a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to your Business Officer. See above if you need information regarding the application for a Social Insurance Number.
  • For direct deposit, you must open an account at one of the local banks and ask the bank to provide you with a VOID CHEQUE that will display your account information. See “Banking” above for more information.
  • Your salary will be deposited to your bank account on the 28th of each month, or the Friday if the the 28th is on a weekend.
  • Please complete the “Personal Tax Credits Return forms – Federal and Provincial” and submit them to your Departmental Business Officer. The Business Officer should have this form.
  • For additional information, please refer to the Revenue Canada Agency’s website at: For additional information on international tax issues, you

7. Housing

Apply for residence? Make sure you meet important dates and deadlines!

The University of Toronto Mississauga Department of Student Housing & Residence Life advances the mission of the University by creating a holistic student experience that promotes academic and personal success.

For information on accommodation on the University of Toronto Mississauga Campus, please visit:

For information on accommodation on the University of Toronto St. George Campus, please visit:

8. Childcare

Child care should be arranged in advance of your arrival, and as soon as you accept your Postdoc position. For information on child care options, please contact the University of Toronto’s Family Care Office at:

9. Other Topics for Discussion with your Supervisor or Department

  • Obtaining a UTORid and T-Card
  • Setting up an E-mail address
  • Office/Work space
  • Lab space
  • Lab equipment
  • Computer equipment

10. Parking & Transportation

Finding your way around the University of Toronto Mississauga Campus or the City of Toronto?

Please visit:

11. Schedule your First Day

Contact your supervisor and schedule your first day of work. Ensure that someone will be available to meet with you at your lab / office and to welcome and orientate you to the campus and the department.