Please note: This page reflects information from the 2020-2021 academic year and 2021 summer term. More information to come in the following months regarding the 2021-2022 academic year.
Summer Check-Out Process
First Half Check-Out Deadline - Tuesday, June 22, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Second Half & Full Term Check-Out Deadline - Saturday, August 21, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Graduate Check-Out Deadline - Saturday, August 21, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Medical Check-Out Deadline - Saturday, August 21, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
An express check-out consists of the Resident checking out of residence by the specified date and time according to their summer term. A reminder of your specific check-out deadline is emailed to you at least 2 weeks in advance.Check-Out Envelope - you will need it to hand in your residence & mailbox key. Pickup at the Residence Services Desk.
Do you want to stay for the Full Summer Term?
If you would like to extend to Full Term, please email the Residence Services Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org with your Student Number, First Name, Last Name and Request by June 21, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
If you are a confirmed resident for the 2021 - 2022 Academic Year:
More information about transferring to your fall - winter unit will be made available closer to the date.
How to Have the Perfect Checkout
Here are some resources to ensure you have a proper checkout!
- Pick-up your check-out envelope at the Residence Services Desk as early as possible. Envelopes will be available starting June 11, 2021
- Take a look at this FULL checkout checklist to ensure you've done all the right steps! You can also get a physical copy at the Residence Services Desk.
- Learn how to clean your spaces & check-out some tips and tricks from our own maintenance and caretaking team! You can click here or scroll down to learn more.
- Have a sustainable checkout by donating items in drop-off areas around residence! You can click here or scroll down to learn more.
Cleaning Your Spaces
Prior to Cleaning
- Engage in conversations with your roommates about cleanliness expectations!
- SHRL expects residents to work together to complete cleaning of ALL shared spaces
- We strongly encourage you to work out a plan for cleaning that reflects your move out dates & responsibilities
- If you need support, please contact your Don in advance of your check-out.
- Submit Work Orders as needed. Check out some tips & tricks from our facilities team or scroll down!
- Be aware of Damage & Cleaning Charges
Cleaning Your Space
- Ensure you clean all required spaces for your unit:
- Bedroom: check drawers/closets, under/behind mattress/bed, clean all surfaces, mirrors etc.
- Bathroom: clean sink, bathtub/shower, toilet, cabinets, mirror, floor etc.
- Kitchen: clean sink, cabinets & cupboards, underneath the sink, refrigerator, stove/oven, floor, countertops etc.
- Living Room: clean floors, surfaces, furniture, remove personal belongings etc.
- Front Foyer/Hallway/Stairs: clean floors
- Storage Room: remove all belongings & clean floors
- Remove all personal items & garbage
- Wipe down all surfaces with a general all-purpose cleaner
- See discoloration from build-up (i.e. on stove, toilet sink etc.)? Use a job specific cleaner, not all purpose
- Sweep, vacuum and mop floors
- Take photos before you leave!
- If you are concerned about cleaning charges, take photos & document concerns that can be submitted if needed for an appeal
Tips for Cleaning Specific Spaces
Unsure how to clean a toilet? Need advice on what to clean in a kitchen? Check out the informational videos below for tips on how to complete cleaning in the suggested areas:
Shower & Tub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvjcAqXvvNw
Garbage & Recycling Disposal
- Use recycling to dispose of appropriate material!
- Unsure of what can be recycled? Check out the Peel Region Page on How to Sort Your Waste: https://www.peelregion.ca/scripts/waste/how-to-sort-your-waste.pl
- Use large outdoor garbage and recycling bins located in your area
- Do not leave bags on the ground outside the bin
- An additional garbage only bin will be placed behind Oscar Peterson Hall beginning April 9