An express check-out consists of the Resident checking out of residence 24 hours after your last exam or by April 24 at 12:00 p.m. (noon). Your specific check-out deadline is emailed to you in March 2021.Check-Out Envelope - you will need it to hand in your residence & mailbox key. Pickup at the Residence Services Desk.
Undergraduate Check-Out Deadline - Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Graduate Check-Out Deadline - Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Medical Check-Out Deadline - Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Need an extension?
Need an extension past April 24th at 12:00 p.m? Fill out our extension application here: https://www.utm.utoronto.ca/housing/2020-2021-residence-extension-request
Deadline: April 2nd, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
If you are a confirmed resident for 2021 Summer Term Session:
If you have been given a space in residence for the First Half or Full Summer Term, you are automatically granted an extension until the summer transfer period. More information about transferring to your summer unit will be sent to you via email.
How to Have the Perfect Checkout
Here are some resources to ensure you have a proper checkout!
- Pick-up your check-out envelope at the Residence Services Desk as early as possible. Envelopes will be available starting March 19, 2021
- Take a look at this FULL checkout checklist to ensure you've done all the right steps! You can also get a physical copy at the Residence Services Desk.
- Learn how to clean your spaces & check-out some tips and tricks from our own maintenance and caretaking team! You can click here or scroll down to learn more.
- Have a sustainable checkout by donating items in drop-off areas around residence! You can click here or scroll down to learn more.
Cleaning Your Spaces
Prior to Cleaning
- Engage in conversations with your roommates about cleanliness expectations!
- SHRL expects residents to work together to complete cleaning of ALL shared spaces
- We strongly encourage you to work out a plan for cleaning that reflects your move out dates & responsibilities
- If you need support, please contact your Don in advance of your check-out.
- Submit Work Orders as needed. Check out some tips & tricks from our facilities team or scroll down!
- Be aware of Damage & Cleaning Charges
Cleaning Your Space
- Ensure you clean all required spaces for your unit:
- Bedroom: check drawers/closets, under/behind mattress/bed, clean all surfaces, mirrors etc.
- Bathroom: clean sink, bathtub/shower, toilet, cabinets, mirror, floor etc.
- Kitchen: clean sink, cabinets & cupboards, underneath the sink, refrigerator, stove/oven, floor, countertops etc.
- Living Room: clean floors, surfaces, furniture, remove personal belongings etc.
- Front Foyer/Hallway/Stairs: clean floors
- Storage Room: remove all belongings & clean floors
- Remove all personal items & garbage
- Wipe down all surfaces with a general all-purpose cleaner
- See discoloration from build-up (i.e. on stove, toilet sink etc.)? Use a job specific cleaner, not all purpose
- Sweep, vacuum and mop floors
- Take photos before you leave!
- If you are concerned about cleaning charges, take photos & document concerns that can be submitted if needed for an appeal
Tips for Cleaning Specific Spaces
Unsure how to clean a toilet? Need advice on what to clean in a kitchen? Check out the informational videos below for tips on how to complete cleaning in the suggested areas:
Shower & Tub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvjcAqXvvNw
Garbage & Recycling Disposal
- Use recycling to dispose of appropriate material!
- Unsure of what can be recycled? Check out the Peel Region Page on How to Sort Your Waste: https://www.peelregion.ca/scripts/waste/how-to-sort-your-waste.pl
- Use large outdoor garbage and recycling bins located in your area
- Do not leave bags on the ground outside the bin
- An additional garbage only bin will be placed behind Oscar Peterson Hall beginning April 9