Overview: The Discovery Grant (DG) program provides research operating funds for researchers in the natural and engineering sciences.
Value: Variable, ~$35,000 average, ranges from ~$10,000 to $100,000
(For more information see the NSERC DG competition statistics dashboard)
> See below for information on supplements.
>For additional funds to access vessels, see the Ship Time program.
Duration: Up to 5 years
- NOI deadline: August 1, 2023
- UTM peer review deadline (optional): October 1, 2023 (earlier recommended - email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UTM editorial review deadline (optional): October 11, 2023 (email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UTM MRA deadline: October 24, 2023
- U of T RSO MRA deadline: October 26, 2023*
- Sponsor deadline (full proposal): November 1, 2023
*Submit MRAs by October 24 so that RSO receives them by October 26.
- Discovery Grants program description on the NSERC website
- NSERC DG Research Services Office page (U of T-specific application instructions)
- Application portal
- CCV portal
- CCV instructions for the NSERC DG
- NOI instructions
- Full application instructions
- Applicant Eligibility Requirements
- Selection committees and evaluation groups
- Competition Statistics Dashboard
- NSERC-hosted webinars
- CRIS and RSO webinars:
|Discovery Accelerator Supplements||DND/NSERC Supplements||Discovery Launch Supplements||Northern Research Supplements|
|Overview||Suspended until further notice||A joint initiative between the Department of National Defence (DND) and NSERC, these supplements support unclassified university-based research dedicated to the development of non-weapon specific technologies with dual-use applications in defence and security target areas.||Discovery Launch Supplements provide timely resources to support early career researchers (ECRs) as they establish a Discovery Grant-funded research program.||The Northern Research Supplements (NRS) program is aimed at NSERC-funded researchers who intend to conduct Discovery research in Canada's North.|
|Value||N/A||Up to $120,000 over 3 years||One-time award of $12,500||Up to $25,000 per year, for up to five years|
|Link||Please see the NSERC website for more information.||Please see the NSERC website for more information.||Please see the NSERC website for more information.||Please see the NSERC website for more information.|