3359 Mississauga Road
Maanjiwe nendamowinan, 4th floor
Mississauga ON L5L 1C6
Michael Lettieri, Professor of Italian, has served as Vice-Dean (Academic Experience), Acting Vice-Dean (Undergraduate), (Founding) Chair of the Department of Language Studies, Associate Dean (Humanities), and Vice-Principal (Academic) at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM). Lettieri has also served as Dean and Associate Director of the Italian School at Middlebury College (1991–1995), and Director of the School (1995–2005). Highlights from his extensive list of publications include articles and books on textual criticism, 16th–18th-century drama, and second-language teaching and learning. He is a member of the editorial board of numerous peer-reviewed publications and has served as Associate Editor (1994–2013) and Principal Editor of Italica, Journal of the American Association of Teachers of Italian (2014–2021). He is presently Co-Editor of Guerra Edizioni's journal Cultura e Comunicazione. Lettieri was also a member of the University of Toronto Press Manuscript Review Committee (2004–2011) and Business Manager of Italian Canadiana (the official journal of The Frank Iacobucci Centre for Italian Canadian Studies, 1988–1999). Lettieri has received several academic awards, including the University of Toronto APUS-SAC Undergraduate Teaching Award, the Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations Teaching Award, the University of Toronto Mississauga Students' Union Faculty Award for Student Involvement, the University of Toronto 2020 Northrop Frye Faculty Award, and the University of Toronto President’s Teaching Award (the University’s highest teaching honour that gives the recipient membership into the University of Toronto Teaching Academy). Lettieri is also a recipient of the American Association of Teachers of Italian Distinguished Service Award, the National Congress of Italian Canadians Spirit of Ontario Award, the Middlebury College Lilian Stroebe Centennial Medal, and the Commander of the Order of the Star of Italy Award.
Selected Grants, Fellowships and Awards
- University of Toronto Mississauga Students' Union (UTMSU) Faculty Award for Student Involvement. University of Toronto Mississauga .
- Northrop Frye Faculty Award. University of Toronto .
- Spirit of Ontario Award. National Congress of Italian Canadians .
- Lilian Stroebe Centennial Recognition Medal. Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT .
- Commander of the Order of the Star of Italy Award. Rome, Italy .
- American Association of Teachers of Italian (AATI) Distinguished Service Award .
- President's Teaching Award. University of Toronto .
- OCUFA (Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations) Teaching Award .
- APUS-SAC Undergraduate Teaching Award. University of Toronto .
Selected Recent Publications
- Antonio Liruti da Udine, Camilla. Tragedia. Nuova edizione critica a cura di Michael Lettieri e Rocco M. Morano. Premessa di Gino Tellini. Biblioteca di letteratura 27. Firenze: Società Editrice Fiorentina, 2021.
- Ritratto d’artista: Ebe Cagli Seidenberg tra realtà della vita e realtà estetica. Literary Criticism Series, 21. [With Rocco M. Morano]. New York/Ottawa/Toronto: LEGAS, 2021.
- “Un artista tra due Mondi: uno sguardo critico su Silvio Mastrodascio”. Italia, Italie. Studi in onore di Hermann Haller. A cura di Daniela D’Eugenio, Alberto Gelmi e Dario Marcucci. Milano: Mimesis Edizioni, 2021.
- “Mastrodascio nella tradizione figurativa mediterranea e occidentale”. Mediterranean Encounters and Legacies / Incontri e lasciti mediterranei. Edited by Antonio C. Vitti and Anthony Julian Tamburri. New York, NY: Bordighera Press, 2021.
- Un viaggio attraverso la conoscenza. Studi in memoria di Paul A. Colilli (1952–2018) / A Journey through Knowledge: A Festschrift in Memory of Paul A. Colilli (1952–2018). A cura di Simone Casini, Christine Sansalone, Salvatore Bancheri and Michael Lettieri. University of Toronto Series. Emilio Goggio Chair in Italian Studies, 7. Collana diretta da Salvatore Bancheri. Firenze: Franco Cesati Editore, 2020.
- “L’insegnamento della letteratura italiana in Nord America”. Cultura & Comunicazione VIII.13 (2018).
- “Sulle tracce in Nord America dell’alto magistero di Gino Tellini”. Studi di letteratura italiana in onore di Gino Tellini. A cura di Simone Magherini. Collana “Biblioteca Palazzeschi”. Firenze: Società Editrice Fiorentina, 2018.
- Antonio Liruti da Udine, Sonetti sopra le tragedie di Vittorio Alfieri. Edizione critica. Saggio introduttivo, testi con apparati e note di commento a cura di Michael Lettieri e Rocco M. Morano. Prefazione di Giorgio Bárberi Squarotti. "Iride" 56. Soveria Mannelli (Italy): Rubbettino Editore, 2014.
16th–18th-century Italian literature, textual criticism, Italian theatre, second-language teaching and learning, applied linguistics.