3359 Mississauga Road
Maanjiwe nendamowinan, MN4176
Mississauga ON L5L 1C6
Elizabeth (Liz) Coulson is Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the Education Studies Minor program at UTM. For over a decade, she served as Secondary Practicum Coordinator in the initial Teacher Education Program at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education where she was appointed liaison to the Ministry of Education. She holds a PhD in Education from Western University in curriculum design and was a former elementary and secondary teacher in the Halton and Peel District school boards. Her research investigates instructional modalities pushing innovation in teaching and learning forward by launching a variety of culturally responsive social entrepreneurship projects. She is co-founder of UTM’s first supplemental education course and was recently appointed co-chair of the Dean’s experiential learning group designing several international experiential learning courses for UTM students in Southeast Asia, Europe and South America. She has advised and been a lead writer on several provincial and international curriculum literacy projects across a variety of global jurisdictions including Saudi Arabia, India and China.
- EDS101 (Health and Education)
- EDS210 (Communication and Conflict Resolution)
- EDS325 (Supplemental Instruction in Higher Education: The Impact of Peer-Facilitated Study Groups (FSG))
- PhD, Education, Western University
- MEd, Brock University
- MSc Teacher Education, Niagara University
- BA Hons, Western University
- Ontario Certificate of Teaching (OCT)
- Certificate in Creative Writing, Humber College
Areas of Teaching and Research Interests
- Teacher education and professional learning
- Culturally responsive pedagogy and EDI
- Experiential learning: internships, SI, work-integrated learning
- Communication and conflict transformation
- Design thinking and innovation
- Coulson, E., & Grimaldi, A. (2023). Lessons Learned in Virtual Supplemental Instruction: Enhanced Engagement to Support FSG Leader Transformation. Annual Meeting of International Center for Supplemental Instruction at UMKC (AECT), Toronto, June 10, 2022. Paper.
- Pinto, L. E., & Coulson, E. (2012). Social justice and the gender politics of financial literacy education. Canadian Journal of the Association for Curriculum Studies, 9(2), 54–85
- Coulson, E. (2023–2025). Principal, Teacher and Educational Assistant Program for school leaders in Riyad Saudia Arabia. OISE
- Coulson, E. (2023). English Language Program for Newcomer and Refugee populations in Ontario. UTM.
- Coulson, E., & Pinto, L. E. (2012). Mind Over Money: Enhancing Financial Literacy in Ontario. Toronto: Investor Education Fund.
- Hibbert, K., Coulson, E., & Pinto, L. E. (2011). Background Research Paper and Recommendations: Financial Literacy Curriculum in Ontario. Toronto: Ministry of Education.
- Coulson, E. (2006). Teacher Development Program for Teachers from Punjab, India. OISE
Selected Grants, Fellowships and Awards
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Federal Government of Canada, Principal Investigator, Engage3 Research Project in Virtual Reality and Artificial Intelligence
- Access Pathway University Fund, Co-investigator, 2021–2022, Expanding and Creating Access Pathways for Black Educators in Teacher Education