5 Reasons You Should Study German Language and Culture
- German is the most commonly spoken native language in Europe – approximately 200 million people speak German worldwide!
- It’s not as hard as you think: if you already speak English (a Germanic language) then you have a strong advantage learning German since they share similar vocabulary and grammar.
- Germany is the economic powerhouse of the European Union and has the fourth largest economy in the world! Our courses open doors for students in business, politics and international relations.
- The German-speaking world is home to “Das Land der Dichter und Denker” (“The Land of Poets and Thinkers”); it’s a land of craftsmanship, scientific prowess, culture and innovation! Tech companies are even flocking to Germany’s hippest city, its capital Berlin, which is poised to become the next Silicon Valley.
- The German Academic Exchange (DAAD) sponsors over 100,000 international exchanges per year, offering many opportunities to study or conduct internships abroad!
German Course Offerings
Our small class sizes and dedicated instructors offer students the immersive and interactive experience that can’t be found in larger lecture halls. For 2022–2023, we are offering our first- and second-year German language courses, which develop student proficiency by emphasizing communicative expression and the use of authentic materials. Our second-year Introduction to German Culture course takes students on a tour of German literature, art, music and film. Offered in English, it attracts UTM students from a wide range of years and majors.
Please see https://utm.calendar.utoronto.ca/section/German for more information regarding German course offerings.
Course Timetable for 2022–2023
GER100Y5Y - Introductory German
- Mondays & Wednesdays 9:00 – 11:00 (LEC0101/PRA0101)
- Mondays & Wednesdays 13:00 – 15:00 (LEC0201/PRA0201)
GER200Y5Y - Intermediate German
- Mondays & Wednesdays 11:00 – 13:00
GER250H5S - Introduction to German Culture
- Wednesdays 15:00 – 17:00
Please see the Timetable Builder for more information.