The Effective Healthcare Management program will cover seven topic segments delivered online via Zoom one night per week over a period of 9 months. In addition to the sessions, there will be weekly readings.
Introduction to Healthcare Opportunities and Challenges
This introduction is intended to provide insights and context that will help participants understand the scope of healthcare activities and the challenges and opportunities that are being and will be faced in the years to come. To complement this, thought leaders in healthcare will be invited to speak to program participants once a month to talk about topics that are important to practicing healthcare professionals. Learn more about the speaker series here.
SEGMENT 1: Healthcare Governance, Ethics, and Culture
The objective of this segment is to help executives and managers understand the importance of developing a strong governance framework supported by an ethical culture, and how to make the right decisions that are in line with their organization’s values, as well as the latest expectations and developments which are now emerging.
This segment consists of the following modules:
- New Expectations & Developments.
- Making Values-based Decisions.
- Developing and Maintaining an Ethical Corporate Culture.
SEGMENT 2: Healthcare Strategy and Critical Thinking Processes
In the volatile, uncertain, complex. and ambiguous world we live in today, healthcare activities have become increasingly unpredictable. The need to respond to these changing circumstances by thinking critically and leading strategically has never been more important. Being able to do your best thinking in any situation and to execute strategically in a dynamic new environment is critical to personal and organizational success.
This segment will help learners to:
- Understand strategic thinking, which coordinates and focuses all functional activities,
- Understand strategic leadership and management, and
- Think critically about strategy, leading strategically, critical thinking, competitive advantage, and other business problems.
SEGMENT 3: Risk Management in Healthcare
The identification, assessment, and mitigation of risks has become vital to protect and safeguard the reputations, images, and potentials for organizations and their management – and healthcare is no exception. This program segment will introduce risk management concepts, frameworks, techniques and decision-making through the delivery of three modules:
- Introduction to the world standard, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Framework.
- Applications of the ERM Framework.
- Risk assessment, reporting and decision-making lessons learned.
SEGMENT 4: Effective Leadership in Healthcare
Effective leadership is the key to personal and vital to organizational success, particularly in stressful times. This segment will consist of four modules:
- Motivation: What makes people tick, including yourself?
- Leadership Styles and Approaches to maximize individual and team potential.
- Leadership in Difficult Circumstances, including:
- Building effective teams, and
- The management of change.
SEGMENT 5: Healthcare Finance, Reporting, and Scorecards
Healthcare executives and managers need to understand organizational needs and opportunities for financial resources, financial reporting and accountability, performance monitoring and reporting, cost analysis, and financial analysis for credit, purchase and lease decision making. Segment modules will include:
- Financial, performance and monitoring reporting.
- Cost analysis for pricing and control.
- Financial analysis for credit assessment, and purchase, or lease decisions.
SEGMENT 6: Forensic Considerations for Healthcare
Healthcare organizations are readily susceptible to fraud, corruption, and cybercrime. Consequently, executives and managers would benefit from an understanding of the potential debilitating challenges their organization may face, how those may be investigated and mitigated, and how they may be prevented. Segment modules will include:
- Healthcare Frauds, Corruption, and Cybercrimes – An Overview.
- Introduction to Forensic Investigation and Analysis.
- Introduction to Forensic Accounting Tools – big data analysis, interviewing.
SEGMENT 7: Big Data Analysis for Healthcare
The availability of data has exceeded the capacity of most managers and executives to analyze and interpret effectively. Since data collection continues to accelerate, the potential benefit of its effective use is becoming even more evident. This segment will educate managers and executives on the methods and useful techniques of data analytics, the problems inherent in big data analysis, and the potential of using helpful computer software.
Segment modules will include:
- Data analysis and data visualization.
- Data cleaning and manipulation.
- Useful software applications for healthcare.
Healthcare Thought Leaders Speaker Series
In addition to the weekly sessions for each segment, thought leaders in healthcare will be invited to speak to program participants and other guests about topics that are important to practicing healthcare professionals. This series will take place once a month. Learn More
This program will be fully taught in English with no translation services available.