Independent Studies Courses

Students interested in applying for an independent research course with CPS must complete the following:

  1. Contact a faculty member to be their supervisor for the course and obtain approval.
  2. Fill out the appropriate application form below.
  3. Submit your application to the CPS Undergraduate Administrative Assistant via email at PDF format is preferred, but a clear image of the form may be accepted.
  4. Register for the course on ACORN.

The deadline to submit your application form for each term are the following, unless stated otherwise for a specific course:

  • For Fall term (-H5F) and Year (-Y5Y) courses: August 16 by 5PM.
  • For Winter term (-H5S) courses: December 6 by 5PM.
  • For Summer term (-H5Y and -Y5Y) courses: April 6 by 5PM.
  • CPS401Y5: June 30 by 5PM.

Here are the ballot forms of the independent studies courses:

CHM485H5  Dissertation Based on Literature Research
CPS398H5  Teaching Opportunity Program in Sciences
CPS401Y5   Research and Development in Science Education                                             
CPS489Y5   Introduction to Research in the Chemical and Physical Sciences 
JCB487Y5   Advanced Interdisciplinary Research Laboratory [Note: not offered in 2023-2024]
PHY473H5   Supervised Readings 

NOTE: starting Fall 2021, CPS489Y5 replaced CHM489Y5, ERS470Y5 and PHY489Y5.