The autoclave and resources facility operates under the Office of Vice-Principal, Research and is open to all research laboratories at UTM. The facility houses three autoclaves, each found in rooms DV2031, DV3027 and DV4032. The life sciences core facilities manager oversees its daily operation.
The autoclaves only process biosafety containment level 1 materials. In addition to three autoclaves, the facility has water purification systems, ice makers, incubation ovens and a lab-ware washer, all which are accessible by UTM researchers. The facility also houses shared 5°C cold rooms, -20°C freezer rooms and ultra-low freezers for sample storage and small equipment operation that requires cold environment. User fees are applied for using these storage spaces.
Hours and Access
- Staffed hours: Monday to Friday 8:45am to 5:00pm
- Facility rooms DV3027 and DV4032 are accessible 24/7.
- Facility room DV2031 requires key card access. Contact core facility manager to get access.
- To request fridge and freezer’s space and access, send Fridge Freezer Space Request Form to core facility manager.
Life Sciences Core Facilities Manager
The Office of Vice-Principal, Research, Room HSC334
University of Toronto Mississauga
Click Life Sciences Core Facilites User Fees for details.
- PIs ensure that all their core facility users who work with biological agents to take three online courses from UofT EHS website: General Health and Safety Awareness (EHS 002), WHMIS and Lab Safety (EHS 101), and Laboratory Biosafety (EHS 601). https://ehs.utoronto.ca/
- Core facility manager provides group training twice per year in May and September for new users.
- Training date announcement will be sent to principal investigators.
- For those who have missed the group training due to scheduling conflict, individual training can be arranged.
- Only trained students, staff and faculty are allowed to operate the autoclave machines. Click here to open training request form.
Three autoclave machines, incubation ovens and the lab-ware washer need to be booked online through UTM Core Facilities Booking System Bookitlab.
Click Autoclave and Research Resources Facility Equipment for equipment list and brief descriptions.
How to Apply
April 27, 2023