[2023-09-26] Please note that the SSHRC online system is currently down. As a result, the submission deadline has been extended to September 29, 9 am. For more information, contact email@example.com.
SSHRC provides funding for research carried out by individual scholars and teams of researchers.
See here for rules on applying for an IG and IDG in the same calendar year.
Overview: Insight Grants are a fundamental funding SSHRC funding mechanism. They support long-term research initiatives led by either individuals or teams. Funding is available to both emerging and established researchers. Insight Grants are expected to respond to the objectives of the Insight program.
Value: Stream A: $7,000 to $100,000; Stream B: $100,001 to $400,000
Duration: 2-5 years
- UTM editorial review deadline: Thursday, September 7, 2023 (submit to firstname.lastname@example.org or directly to email@example.com)
- UTM MRA deadline: Tuesday, September 19, 2023
- RSO MRA deadline: Thursday, September 21, 2023 (noon)*
- Deadline to submit application on SSHRC portal:
Wednesday, September 27, 2023 (9 am)Deadline extended to Friday, September 29, 2023, 9 am due to SSHRC portal outage.
*Submit MRAs by September 19 so that RSO can receive them by September 21.
- Insight Grant program description on the SSHRC website
- Application portal
- SSHRC IG Research Services Office page (U of T-specific application instructions)
- Information relating to multiple applications
- SSHRC Insight Grant webinars
- Upcoming RSO and CRIS webinars:
Overview: Insight Development Grants support research in its initial stages. Applications should respond to the objectives of the Insight Program. Funding is available for
- Emerging scholars who will develop new research questions and/or approaches. Such projects may build on and further the applicant’s (or team’s) graduate work and/or represent a continuation of their overall research trajectory.
- Established scholars who will explore new research questions and/or approaches that are distinct from the applicant’s previous/ongoing research.
Value: $7,000 to $75,000
Duration: 1-2 years
- UTM MRA Deadline: January 20, 2023 (noon)
- RSO MRA Deadline: January 23, 2023 (noon)
- Internal Deadline: January 30, 2023 (noon)
- Sponsor Deadline: February 2, 2023 (8 p.m. eastern)
- Read more about Insight Development Grants on the SSHRC website
- Research Services Office page: U of T-specific application instructions