International Students

Background image shows a person facing behind them, waving to a circle of people sitting on the grass just behind them. Text says "International Students".

As an UTM international student you have access to a wide range of resources tailored specifically to your experience. The UTM International Education Centre(IEC) provides tailored services, supports and resources specifically for international students. Our resources are developed by current and former international students who can relate to the experiences of being a new international student at UTM.

As a new student you have access to certified immigration advising at no additional cost, covering topics such as study permits, visas, notary services, working in Canada, and more. Additionally, and uniquely at UTM, our advisors will support you from the time you are admitted to up to three years post-graduation – including post-graduation work permits and permanent residency.

Essentials for International Students

Accept your offer and pay your deposit

Step 1: Accept your offer of admission 

View your applications on the Join U of T Applicant Portal and click Admitted on the application you wish to accept. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Respond to Your Offer of Admission button. Follow the instructions to accept your offer. Join U of T will update your decision within a few days.

Step 2Pay your admission deposit in ACORN. You can log in using your JOINid

You will pay your admission deposit through ACORN, our student information system. You can log in using your JOINid—the same credentials you use to log in to the Join Portal. After your offer is labeled Accepted on the Join Portal, log in to ACORN and find the admission deposit in the Finances card. ACORN allows deposit payments to be made through a few methods, credit card being the most direct. Follow the instructions on ACORN to make your admission deposit. Your Offer Letter has more information about the admission deposit.

Apply for your study permit

Important note: If you are applying for a study permit outside of Ontario you may need to submit a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) from the provincial government of Ontario—along with your study permit application to the Government of Canada. Follow the steps below to get your PAL. We strongly encourage you to complete this step as soon as possible as processing times can be extensive. If you have questions or need support, connect with our International Education Centre for certified immigration advice at no additional cost.

Step 3: Confirm you need an attestation letter 

Complete the Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) Confirmation Form to verify that you require an attestation letter for your study permit. You will have access to this form after you accept your offer and pay the admission deposit. 

To find the form, go to your Accepted application on the Join U of T Applicant Portal and click the Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) Confirmation Form link under Your Admission Checklist requirements. Remember: The form will only appear after you have accepted your offer and paid the admission deposit.

Step 4: Apply for your study permit

As soon as you receive the attestation letter (PAL), please apply for your study permit through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website or in person at the Visa Application Centre. We strongly encourage you to apply online through the IRCCstudy permit application.

Step 5: Find out what next steps you may need after you apply. Once your application is approved, you will receive an introduction letter from the visa office.

Secure housing

As an international student, you will need to secure housing prior to arrival. Review the Student Housing page to learn more about your options.

Tips to keep in mind:

  • If you intend on living on campus, make sure to follow the corresponding deadlines.
  • If you intend to live off campus, make sure you:
    • Expect to be asked to pay two months’ worth of rent when signing the agreement
    • Are provided with a formal lease agreement
    • Are aware of scams (do not provide personal information like a social insurance or bank account information before signing an agreement, research to ensure the residence exists and is in a suitable location, try to get a tour of the space – even if it is a virtual tour, do not pay in cash, etc.)  
    • Identify a suitable location – close to a bus line (the Mississauga transit buses 110, 44, 1C and 101 have a stop on campus as well as the UTM shuttle bus).

Engage with UTM’s pre-arrival programming

As a new student, you have access to UTM’s unique and tailored New Student Supports. Make sure to connect with your resources prior to arrival, we are here to support from the day you receive your letter of admission. As an international student, EagleConnect is particularly important as it will provide you with essential information every week starting in June. Plus, as an international student there is a designated section and sessions offered by the International Education Centre that will provide you with tailored support.

Look out for the International Student Mentorship Program (ISMP) later in the summer. A unique program that will pair you with an upper year student trained to help you navigate the transition to UTM and Canada as an international student. 

Prepare for arrival

Start Packing

Aside from packing the essentials – clothing, toiletries, school supplies etc. – there are  some important items to make sure you have packed before you leave for Canada:

  • Money – pack enough Canadian cash for immediate expenses including, but not limited to, food and transportation
  • Seasonal clothing – pack clothing that will be appropriate for the Canadian climate when you get off the plane 
  • Immigration documents – this is particularly important! Be sure you have paper AND electronic copies of important documents
  • Prescription medication – if needed
  • Medical records – recommended in case you need them
  • Your U of T offer of admission letter

Arrive in Canada with:

  • Your passport with valid TRV or eTA
  • Your introduction letter from the visa office
  • Your University of Toronto Mississauga offer letter
  • Any additional travel documentation required at the time
  • Proof of funds
  • Proof of valid immigration medical examination (if required)
  • Your study permit will be issued at the border. Note: If you apply for the study permit from within Canada, it will be sent to you by mail.

Plan for your arrival 

Decide on the type of transportation service that best suits your needs.

  • Mississauga Transit (MiWay) – Approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes for $4 (cash). For more information about accessing MiWay, please visit here. *Please note that you will need exact change to pay the bus fare and while it might be the most cost-effective mode of transportation, it is not recommended for your first arrival based on your luggage and lack of familiarity with the area.
  • Taxi or Rideshare Services – Approximately 35 minutes, $45-$60
  • For more information on accessing airport taxi services, please visit here.

Transition to life at UTM and Canada 

Once in Canada, make sure you setup your phone, open a bank account, get your Tcard and more. You can learn how through the International Education Centre international student arrival page. 

Do not forget to register for orientation and join the International and New to Canada Student Welcome on Saturday, September 1st, 2024.

Airport Welcome Booths - Fall 2024 

Are you flying into Pearson Airport and have questions about your first few days in Toronto? Friendly and knowledgeable student staff are on-site at the U of T Airport Welcome booth to answer your questions.  

Location: the International Arrival Hall in both Terminal 1 and 3.

Dates: August 19th – September 4th

Getting to Campus:

The university does not have a designated airport pick-up service. Here are possible routes(opens in a new tab) from Pearson International Airport to each of the three campuses.

Important Note:

  • If you are experiencing delays or difficulties in transit or upon arrival due to immigration issues, please contact U of T Campus Safety at +1 416-978-2222 (available 24/7). They will contact a member of our team on call to speak with you. Make sure to provide campus police with your name, student number, campus, and a phone number where we can reach you.

Get Help

Visit the other pages on the New Student Website to get information on course enrollments, paying fees and more. Look for the icon below throughout the site as it indicates the information is specific to international students. 

World globe in blue with red exclamation mark
 Please contact the International Education Centre (IEC) should you have any questions or need support and look out for invitations to the international student webinars in your email.

International Education Centre
Visit us on Campus

facebook icon.
instagram icon