Jeffrey SteeleAssociate Professor, French Studies Undergraduate Program Coordinator Language Studies
- (905) 828-3988
- Office Location:
3359 Mississauga Road, Maanjiwe nendamowinan, 4th floor
Mississauga , ON
Born and raised in Winnipeg, Jeffrey has had a passion for language – French, in particular – since a very young age. Trained as a formal linguist with a special interest in sound structure, his research investigates both the ways in which people acquire second languages as well as various aspects of the French sound system. He is also a musician and holds two performer’s diplomas (Associate of the Royal Conservatory of Music, Toronto; Premier prix, Conservatoire international de musique, Paris).
Areas of Academic Interest
- Second Language Acquisition
- Experimental Phonology
- Second Language Assessment
- French Linguistics
Grants, Fellowships and Awards
Language Experience and Linguistic Skills among Multilingual Learners in Higher Education (2018-20; SSHRC Insight Development) – Co-Investigator: Examination of the role of previous language experience on the learning of French and Spanish linguistic competence
The International Bilingual Education Project (2018-2021; SSHRC Partnership Development Grant) – Collaborator: Dynamic assessment and monitoring of language and literacy development in the first and second languages of children enrolled in bilingual education programs in Canada, China, and the Netherlands
- Colantoni, L., Steele, J., & Escudero, P. (2015). Second language speech: Theory & practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Colantoni, L., & Steele, J. (2018). The mixed effects of phonetic input variability on relative ease of L2 learning: Evidence from English learners’ production of French and Spanish Stop-rhotic clusters. Languages, 3(12). https://doi: 10.3390/languages3020012
- Steele, J., Colantoni, L., & Kochetov, A. (2018). Gradient assimilation in French cross-word /n/+velar stop sequences. Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 49(1), 1-22.
- Krenca, K., Segers, E., Chen, X., Shakory, S., Steele, J., & Verhoeven, L. (2019). Phonological specificity and reading ability in English-French bilingual children. Reading and Writing. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11145-019-09959-2
- Steele, J., & Collaborators. (2013-19). University of Toronto Test of French. uttf.artsci.utoronto.ca.
- Colantoni, L., & Steele, J. (2004-19). University of Toronto Romance Phonetics Database. http://rpd.chass.utoronto.ca