Here you will find information about departmental resources, which are at the disposal of students and faculty. These resources include:
- Computer Labs: Computer labs are located at CCT1160, CCT2130, CCT2140, CCT2160. Please visit here for the computing facility details.
- The web-based geospatial learning platform (a.k.a. UTMcitrix) enhances the undergraduate learning environment for a large number of students by increasing opportunities to access virtual geospatial labs when physical labs are not available or difficult to access.
- ArcGIS Pro is available on the Desktop platform only, not on the Online Apps platform. Please choose the Desktop option and log in to one of the available UTM Lab workstations to run ArcGIS Pro.
- When using the Online Desktop platform, you will be logged out without warning If a scheduled tutorial practical session starts using the lab you are working in.
- Alternatively, you can run ArcGIS Pro on your computer. Please check here for how to obtain a license, download and install the software to your device.
- NVivo - is under site license at the University of Toronto and is available to current faculty, staff, and students at no cost. Please check here for the details and acquire your license and software.
Software and license installed at UTM computer labs and Online Learning Geospatial Platform
- ArcGIS Dsktop10.8
- ArcGIS Pro
- Erdas IMAGINE 2022
- ENVI 5.6/IDL 8.8
- Grass GIS
Software and license for individual
- ArcGIS and ArcGIS Pro - is under site license at the University of Toronto and is available to students and faculty at no cost. Please check here for the license and installation details.
- Erdas IMAGINE - is managed by GGE and available to students enrolled in GGE Remote Sensing courses. Please contact us for your student license and software.
- GRASS GIS is a free Geographic Information System (GIS) software used for geospatial data management and analysis, image processing, graphics/maps production, spatial modeling, and visualization. Please visit Grass site for the details,
- R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics, and is available at the R-Project site.
- RStudio IDE is an integrated development environment (IDE) for R and Python, and the OpenSource edition is available at posit.co. To install RStudio IDE, you need to have R installed first.
- QGIS is free and open-source software and please visit the QGIS site for the detail.
Running GIS on your computer
- PC and Mac users: ESRI ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro, Erdas IMAGINE require a Windows system. Please make sure your PC hardware meets the requirement before installing ArcGIS Desktop , ArcGIS Pro , and
Erdas 2020 hardware.pdf (109.4 KB)
- Mac users: To run ArcGIS and Erdas on Mac OS, you need to install a Windows system first. Here is the installation instruction on hosting a guest Windows system on Mac devices.
- Our faculty conduct research within specialized research clusters. Within our research clusters, we have some very innovative research groups working on cutting-edge research in their respective fields. Check out the clusters to see how our faculty have specialized and how our research groups align with your own research interests. Please click here for more detail.
Should you have any questions, please contact us here.